Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Liners & Cage bedding (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   switching to liners (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2789)

fluteman88 08-03-2009 05:45 PM

switching to liners

Hello everyone. I am new here to the forum. I want to say that the forum is a Godsend for people looking to purchase their first hedgehog. I have spent countless hours doing my research so that I know I will be doing everything right when I get my little one.
That being said, ............. I will be aquiring a hedgehog soon and I had a question about the bedding. I know the baby I am getting is going to be bedded on kiln dried pine shavings but I want to use liners. Is there some sort of transition period for the switching? I do not want to upset it. I want to make sure that I am doing everything right to keep the little one happy and healthy. Please let me know your thoughts on this. :)

LizardGirl 08-03-2009 06:48 PM

Re: switching to liners

Welcome to HHC! :)

When you get your hedgie, you can put him straight onto the liners. S/he will probably be happy with the change. If you want to offer digging opportunities (that's pretty much the only plus to shavings) you can cut up a bunch of fleece and put it in the igloo/sleeping area.

fluteman88 08-03-2009 11:13 PM

Ok, Great. I will do that. Thanks Lizzard Girl!!! If I have anymore questions I will be sure to post them.

hedgewawa 08-05-2009 01:41 PM

Hi and welcome to HHC. I have my hedgehogs for 3.5 months. I switched from paper bedding to liners about a month or so ago and I love them. Everything is much cleaner and I save them up in a garbage bag until I have a full load to wash.

You didn't ask but I was taught here at HHC to wash the liners in Tide Free Unscented detergent and use a unscented fabric softener. I am using Bounce unscented fabric softener sheet in the dryer. Everything comes out nice and clean. I wash on the warm cycle, not hot and dry on permanent press.

I cut the liners to the size of the cage and use two one on top of the other with another smaller piece under the front of the wheel. I can flip eveything over to the clean side but the liners go for more than two days without being too soiled even if I don't flip them. I change the liners as needed and go a complete cage wipe once per week. I wash the wheels as needed. Once in a great while the wheels can go two days.

I also used smaller pieces of the fleece to stuff into the igloos to make them warm and cozy.

Let us know how it goes.

fluteman88 08-05-2009 06:09 PM

Thank you Hedgewawa for your advice. I think I remember reading something about using the unscented detergents and fabric softeners, but had forgotten until you mentioned it. I am going to go to the store and get a bunch of different light colored fabrics to make the liners. I am also getting some fleece to cut into strips to make the digging material for the igloo. I am going to try my hand a making some other things like hedgie tents, but being a crafter's worst nightmare, we'll see how that goes :-) I cant wait to get my little one!!! I am hoping it is soon.