Using fleece liners and trying to save water - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2019, 03:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Using fleece liners and trying to save water

Hello!

I'm going to be getting a hedgehog in a few months, and I've been going through this forum trying to decide what kind of bedding I should use for my enclosure. There is SO much information on here, and it's been extremely useful in narrowing down my options. So thanks already for all the help, forum users!

Fleece definitely seems to be the popular option - but my big concern is washing. I really don't like the idea of running the washing machine (and possibly dryer) for only one or two sheets of fleece every 5 to 7 days. It uses up way more water than I'm comfortable with.

I've gathered from posts that most people don't put their hedgehog laundry in the wash with the rest of their clothes. Does anyone do this, or is it a solid no? If I was using unscented, mild laundry detergent and a dose of vinegar, and did my best to pick off the poop first, is there any possibility that they could go in the wash together? Any horror stories to share, to scare me off of doing this? :P (again, I do want to state that I'm definitely leaning AWAY from this option... just wanted to see if anyone had had any success doing their hedgehog laundry this way).

One way I thought I could get around this would be to make 5 or 6 fleece liners. If I replace them every 5-7 days, I could save them up to do a big wash once a month.

However, even if I did the hedgehog laundry separately, I'd still be worried about missed poop and quills getting in the washer. I live in a suite with a washer/dryer shared among other tenants, and I'd feel pretty bad if any of them got hedgehog poop in their laundry. I know some people run another wash cycle afterwards to sanitize the washer, but since my whole issue here is saving water, I'd prefer to avoid doing that if I can.

My other option would be handwashing in the bathtub. Have people had good results with this? Do the liners get clean enough?

Any advice or recommendations would be great! I might still decide to go with a different bedding type, I just want to figure out if fleece is a workable option for me. Thanks so much!
catnip_34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

My main concern with doing the hedgie laundry with mine was stray quills getting caught in my clothes. I always shook out my liners and removed any visible quills but I still would wash them separately. If you had extra liners to switch out and waited until you had a full load that would be best. I just wiped out the washing machine tub with a damp rag after the hedgie laundry and that seemed to stop any quills etc being left behind.
Mecki likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
My main concern with doing the hedgie laundry with mine was stray quills getting caught in my clothes. I always shook out my liners and removed any visible quills but I still would wash them separately. If you had extra liners to switch out and waited until you had a full load that would be best. I just wiped out the washing machine tub with a damp rag after the hedgie laundry and that seemed to stop any quills etc being left behind.
Ditto here.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree. I have about 7 liners and do large loads together. But, to make them last even longer, I flip each liner to use both sides before I switch them out. I flip them horizontally and vertically so that the padding in between is evenly used on poop side/rest and eat side. I hope that makes sense, it was hard to explain. Poooint being... I have about 14 uses before I technically *have* to wash my liners, flipping or stripping once a week. I’ve used aspen pellets and aspen shavings in the past, but the pellets were getting a bit costly and the shavings were sinfully messy
Aj.t is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Smile

I use disposable puppy liners under my hedgie’s bedding. She really only goes to the bathroom in her wheel, or her litter box in which I have the wheel sitting in. For the litter box I use one of those disposable foil pans that are 2/$1 at the Dollar Store and I also line that with a puppy liner. Super easy clean up whether I just need to clean the wheel and the litter box or the whole cage. She does burrow down under the bedding and eventually rips through the liner right to the bottom of the cage but always just seems to be in one place. It’s a pretty inexpensive way to keep things tidy for me! I do wash her sleep sack in with my regular laundry after I make sure it’s free of all bedding pieces and visible poop! Good luck!
Heidi S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Remember, too, that while washing the fleeces multiple times will use more water, using disposables also can rack up a bill and use resources just the same. Ultimately, it’s whatever you feel most comfortable with!
Aj.t is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 02:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

I use a horse shredded and dust extracted cardboard bedding, I can buy it in a big bulk for around £15 and I only need to buy it every 4-6 months.
In the long run this worked out cheaper than buying loads of fleece liners and then having to wash them.
Its not a huge deal cheaper and I would swap to fleece liners if Holly started to struggle on the uneven ground when she gets older.

Last edited by Ria; 06-13-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fleece, fleece liner, washing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in