95% Kiln Dried? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aj.t

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 95% Kiln Dried?

Looking into a different bedding than what I currently use for my hedgies and it says it is 95% kiln dried pine. I have never seen this sort of percentage before. Is that safe or would it be best to avoid since it isn't totally kiln dried? Thanks in advance!

-Makaela
Makaela is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've not seen that before either. Is there another ingredient in the mix? (that makes up the remaining 5%)

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

It only shows pine in there... maybe it uses a rotary drier as well
Makaela is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 02:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

What bedding are we actually talking about here though ?? Because most bedding that contain pine are wood shavings which shouldn't really be used anyway.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
What bedding are we actually talking about here though ?? Because most bedding that contain pine are wood shavings which shouldn't really be used anyway.
Wood shavings aren’t bad to use, but what you have to watch for are sharp sticks in the bedding. I’ve used wood shavings in the past, and while she loved to bury herself in them, they were farrr too messy for me. Other than that, I had no problems with them. If it’s only pine wood then the drying process shouldn’t be a big deal!
nikki likes this.
Aj.t is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Emc

I would avoid Pine shavings for hedgehogs - kiln dried or not, I'm with Ria on this one.

Pine contains abietic acid - it's a known respiratory irritant, and is a very stable solid. The kiln drying process treats the wood up to around 84C, but abietic acid has a melting point of up to 155C. So, little is known about the effects that the kiln drying process really has on pine bedding, and if it has any effect on deeming it safer than untreated pine at all. Some have no issues with using it, but you are taking a risk by doing so.

Personally speaking, I do not recommend using pine shavings with hedgehogs and would much rather use either fleece liners or some other safe substrate (like something paper based, i.e fitch or kaytee clean & cozy).
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Aspen shavings are also a good idea if you like to use shavings
Aj.t is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Check out Hemp

I'm not specifically recommending this because I don't know much about Heggies. But we do sell Heggie adapted C&C cages on our store. I recently wrote up this article about a really great bedding combo that works extremely well with guinea pigs. I think it's worth exploring for heggies.

I've been studying all beddings for over a year and will be writing up a comprehensive comparison and scorecard. But in the meantime, I've found this combo for disposable bedding works the best so far (hemp over wood pellets).

https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/...nbow-over-Hemp
CavySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Emc

Hemp should also be fine for hedgehogs; I know its a pretty common bedding choice in Europe, and is relatively inexpensive (for what you get). Actually, I think it's a better option for European folk especially, as aspen shavings arent very common here - whereas hemp is.

You could also use just hemp for hedgehogs; you could use the wood pellets too if you wanted to, but hogs don't create near as much mess as pigs do so hemp should be able to do the job on its own.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in