Bedding: carefresh, paper towel, other? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bedding: carefresh, paper towel, other?

Hi, I'm going to get a hedgie soon, but I don't know what type of bedding to use, I don't mind the aesthetics but I need something that can make my room not stink because the hedgehog, my mom says that if the hedgehog makes my room stink she'll sell it, also how often should I clean/replace the bedding, also what does the hedgie like most, and off topic, do hedgehogs like chews?

Thanks

Awsimical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Bedding: carefresh, paper towel, other?

Most people on here prefer fleece or fabric liners because they have so many positives as compared to wood or particle beddings - they don't get everywhere, they don't introduce mites, they have much less risk of causing allergies, they don't get caught in sensitive areas, and they're reusable so you don't have to keep buying more bedding. However, they might cause a couple issues for you if your mom's concerned about smell - they're not the best for controlling odor (but there are other ways to help with that, such as an open box of baking soda by the cage and an air purifier in the room, and keeping the wheel/litterbox clean) and you'd have to wash them in the washing machine, which she may have a problem with. Something you can suggest to help with that is shake the liners off outside and get as much stuff off as possible (it's usually pretty easy to pick pieces of poop off and "crumbs" are easy to shake or brush off outside. You'll also want to check over for quills, too) before washing them, wash a load of liners, and then run the washer again with nothing in it to rinse it out before washing normal clothes in it.

They really are the best option as far as healthiness for the hogs, but they don't always work for everyone. If your mom is against liners because of odor or having to wash them, your best bet for bedding is probably Carefresh. It's a paper bedding and it doesn't often get caught in private places, but you do have to freeze it before using to lower the chances of mites, and it may dry your hedgie's skin out. I would still say it's probably the best particle bedding you can get though, as far as I know.

Hedgehogs don't need/usually won't use chews or anything like that. They're not rodents, and their teeth don't continuously grow. Their teeth also won't grow back if broken or lost (the adult teeth anyway, they do lose baby teeth), so it's best not to encourage them to chew anything hard.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

K thanks ill use liner sand put baking soda next to it

Awsimical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

The smelliest thing in the cage will be the wheel. If you clean the wheel immediately when you wake up, every single day, that will cut the smell down by a lot.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

I also take a couple of sheets of papers towels, fold them in half to fit under Prim's wheel. It makes clean up in the mornings much easier. I usually just have to remove the paper towel, pick up a few stray pieces of poo, blot the liner with a paper towel to absorb any pee and clean her wheel.

I shake my liners out before I wash them and run the washer once with nothing in it and you can't tell any hedgie stuff was there.

Be advised though, if you don't clean their cages EVERY DAY they WILL smell. A lot. I think the urine smells more than the poop, but that's just me and my hedgie lol.

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in