Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Liners & Cage bedding (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   will hay be a good bedding? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17783)

kaye 09-05-2012 11:46 AM

will hay be a good bedding?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, newbie Kaye from Malaysia here.
just got my 2 hedgehogs 2 weeks ago. was using wood shred as their bedding but found out my wood shred is made from pine. so change to hay today. Is this a good idea? any comment?

Christemo 09-05-2012 11:57 AM

Re: will hay be a good bedding?

No. Hay can poke their eyes out.
Try getting a fleece blanket or fleece from a fabric store and cut it to size and use that.

kaye 09-05-2012 12:22 PM

thanks. will consider it :)
thought hay will be good enough as natural material and soft

laurentj23 09-05-2012 01:31 PM

Aspen ftw!

Lilysmommy 09-05-2012 05:36 PM

49 Attachment(s)
If you're set on using something that's natural and a loose bedding, aspen would be the best wood to use. There's also paper beddings, like Carefresh, though I'm not sure if it'd be available there or not. But the risk with both wood and paper beddings is that they can give your hedgehog mites. You can lessen the risk by putting the bedding in a freezer for a day or two before using it, but there's still a bit of risk even after that. We like to recommend fleece or fabric liners here, and you can check out different ways to make them if you look here - viewforum.php?f=58 There's a lot of benefits to fabric liners - no risk of mites, they're reusable so you're not constantly buying bedding, much less risk of allergies for you or the hedgehog, and less risk of any bedding-related injuries (such as slivers or anything getting caught in private parts). :)

Tabi 09-05-2012 05:38 PM

I dont like any bedding like that :/ fleece is best!

amberh511 09-05-2012 09:44 PM

Depends what you mean when you say "hay". I'd say the best way to go is with a nice kiln-dried pine bedding or maybe you could go with a fleece liner. Hope this helped xoxo :)

Tabi 09-05-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amberh511
Depends what you mean when you say "hay". I'd say the best way to go is with a nice kiln-dried pine bedding or maybe you could go with a fleece liner. Hope this helped xoxo :)

Pine is bad for their respiratory systems. I don't like wood shavings at all, they cause sneezing :( and smell dusty. I feel bad putting a hog in there

nikki 09-05-2012 11:10 PM

Kiln dried pine is safe its the stuff that isn't kiln dried that is bad for their respiratory systems.