Which do you prefer? Totes or Cages? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Which do you prefer? Totes or Cages?

I've seen that people use the totes but some also build cages. The person I might be getting my hedgie from is giving me a tote, food, water/food bowls(although I think I might prefer a water bottle instead) for $15. Is a tote easier over a cage? Does the tote have to be CLEAR? Bc we have a gray tote(idk the qt size but my guess is it's 3 feet long), would that be ok to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Which do you prefer? Totes or Cages?

Totes are easier in my opinion. And also, water dishes are better for a hoggie. The tote doesnt have to be clear and that sounds fine to use

Ladies

Gentlemen
Tabi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

First off, stick with the water bowl. Bottles can chip teeth and cut tongues, and because hedgehogs are not rodents, once their teeth are gone, they dont grow back. Secondly, I'm assuming that by tote you mean a storage bin? Those are usually fine if your hedgies are not climbers or escape artists. But its still a good idea to have modified lids for them. As long as its really spacious and allows roaming space once supplies are already added then it should be good

Rest peacefully and sweet dreams little Thalia 8/25/2012 Mommy and Daddy miss you <3
SquiggyTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Regarding the water bowl, wouldn't it get messy? Is it the bottles with the spring in the nozzle bad or the bottles with the ball in the nozzle?? What kind of bowl is better to use? Do I use a different type of bowl for the food? Could I use a bisected cat food bow, or is that too light?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

It doesn't get messy if you give them fresh water daily. The only problem I have with a water bowl is they get little food crumbs in it. But it's not a problem because i change it every morning

Also, little ceramic dishes are perfect so they can't knock them over and they can go in the dishwasher

Ladies

Gentlemen
Old 09-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I used the little saucers that go under mini flower pots for Quinnlee's food and water They're less than $2 each at walmart and come in tons of colors.

I'm using a C&C cage right now but I want to upgrade to a Ferret Nation cage when I have the money to spare. But I think Storage bins are a good option for large, cheap enclosures.

SouthernSweet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
Regarding the water bowl, wouldn't it get messy? Is it the bottles with the spring in the nozzle bad or the bottles with the ball in the nozzle?? What kind of bowl is better to use? Do I use a different type of bowl for the food? Could I use a bisected cat food bow, or is that too light?
Water bowls don't get too messy unless you use a particle bedding and your hog likes to fill it with bedding, or unless they're dumping it. But that's easy to avoid by using a heavy and low bowl, or if they're dumping by burrowing under the liner, using velcro or something to secure the liner. Pretty much all bottles have their dangers - even the spring nozzle ones can break teeth with the metall, and the ball ones are the ones I"ve heard to cut or sever tongues. Both kinds also have the danger of your hog not getting enough water - I've seen many people say that their hedgie seems to drink more after switching to a bowl. You'll want to use a different bowl for the food so there's less chance of kibble getting into the water and making it yucky. As Tabi said, low ceramic bowls work well - either small animal/reptile bowls from the pet store, or human bowls. I know a few people who have used small white creme brulee dishes.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSweet
I'm using a C&C cage right now but I want to upgrade to a Ferret Nation cage when I have the money to spare. But I think Storage bins are a good option for large, cheap enclosures.
You and me both! I'm trying to save two buy three double unit ferret nation cages. It'll be around $800. Joy

Ladies

Gentlemen
Old 09-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Although totes work well for many people, they do need to have a lid. Even with smooth sides, some hedgehogs are ingenious at figuring out ways to escape. Ideally, they need to be clear. Solid sides do not allow enough light and imagine living in a box that you can't see out of.

I personally prefer wire cages. Initially I used clear totes but when I went to a cage condo with wire doors, I found that numerous hedgehog would come greet me at the bars of the cage which when in totes, they didn't do.

A properly ventilated tote with a safe heating source works well for many people, especially as a stepping stone to a better cage.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

This topic had me confused at first because a tote is this to me

I had a bin as Tangelo quanrentaine cage and I didn't like it very much, I prefered wired cages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
... I found that numerous hedgehog would come greet me at the bars of the cage which when in totes, they didn't do.
Oh this, Tangelo would never do that in the bin but in the cage, he would greet me like a dog!

Gone, but never forgotten
Etsy shop: K52 artworks
K52 artworks on Facebook
FiaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in