Liner Question! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Liner Question!

I plan on making my liners of out corduroy but what should I put on the inside? Or should I just do two sides of corduroy?
kcgirl62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Liner Question!

Oh corduroy... Poggles LOVES corduroy. The corduroy is lovely, but it's thin. It will easily wrinkle up if you only do two layers of corduroy. If you stick a layer of thick fleece in the middle of two corduroy layers, the liner will be plush and warm and it won't bunch up as easily. You can also do corduroy on one side and fleece on the other. To make the liner hold its shape better, sew an inner border. Like so: http://mytutorlist.blogspot.ca/2012/07/ ... orial.html

I have heard of some owners putting absorbent material in the middle, but I don't recommend it. It's really better for liquid to sit on top or to leak through to the bottom (so you can sop it up). If you have absorbant material in the middle, the fluid doesn't dry as easily and just makes a good environment for bacteria and bad smells to grow. With fleece, you and easily wring out water and it dries quickly.

My Blog! http://mytutorlist.blogspot.com
MurE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ela

For liners, I know some people put thick batting or towel in the middle, or just have a layer of fleece. For my liners, I was lucky enough to find cheap quilted batting. It's awesome in how it absorbs and I don't have to worry about the batting shifting around. =)

I've attached a picture of what I'm talking about.

*edit* I just saw Marie's post, so this edit it to address her comment. =) I disagree with the thinner layers opinion, I like it better when there are no pee puddles. With the batting in the middle, the urine doesn't get to the bottom of the cage, so there is less bacteria at the bottom as well. I don't really have a problem with it not drying. However, I do change my liners at least once a week, and my hedgehog rarely pees outside his litter box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QuiltedBatting-big.JPG (27.6 KB, 12 views)
Ela is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks a ton!!!
kcgirl62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cool, I'm glad Ela chimed in with the info on the liners. It's good to have first-hand experience.

I like the quilted batting she found. That would definitely help with reducing shifting since it has all the criss-cross sewing built in. I use two layers of fleece and the fluid doesn't leak to the bottom. It just absorbs. If I press down with a towel on the spot, it picks the fluid right up. So if you used fleece in the middle, you will still have an absorbent core. The fluid will just pick up easily with a towel. If you can find the batting that Ela used, then that's cool too. Personally, I'd go with whatever you find that's cheaper since Ela and I have had good experiences with both batting and fleece cores.

My Blog! http://mytutorlist.blogspot.com
MurE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in