Best Bedding - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best Bedding

What is the best bedding for hedgehogs? I currently have shavings in his cage but I have seen a lot of stuff about using fleece. Should I switch?
amt041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Best Bedding

yes, i would recommend the switch. shavings can harbor mites and fleece is cheaper in the long run.
Kelsey the hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Definitely make the switch...you'll be glad you did. I use two different versions of fleece for my hedgie. On the bottom level of his cage I cut up his fleece into small pieces so he could burrow in it when he sleeps. On the top level where his litter box, wheel, and food are I just took the fleece and folded it up to fit the bottom of the tub. He's messy with his food and litter and I didn't want to be picking out all his litter from between fleece pieces. Wash the fleece once a week with unscented detergent. I got 3 yards of material at Wal-mart for around 15 bucks. Which was plenty to allow for some goofs Good news with fleece you don't have to keep buying it! The only thing that you keep buying is detergent, but adding one more thing in with your clothes won't make a difference on how much detergent you buy. I also got a 97 cent bag for delicates to wash the fleece pieces in so they don't get EVERYWHERE.

bmaditz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaditz
Definitely make the switch...you'll be glad you did. I use two different versions of fleece for my hedgie. On the bottom level of his cage I cut up his fleece into small pieces so he could burrow in it when he sleeps. On the top level where his litter box, wheel, and food are I just took the fleece and folded it up to fit the bottom of the tub. He's messy with his food and litter and I didn't want to be picking out all his litter from between fleece pieces. Wash the fleece once a week with unscented detergent. I got 3 yards of material at Wal-mart for around 15 bucks. Which was plenty to allow for some goofs Good news with fleece you don't have to keep buying it! The only thing that you keep buying is detergent, but adding one more thing in with your clothes won't make a difference on how much detergent you buy. I also got a 97 cent bag for delicates to wash the fleece pieces in so they don't get EVERYWHERE.

Thanks!

I got some fleece today and put it in his cage and also did some strips for his little house that he sleeps in. I was really curious as to how he would react, let's just say he loves it as much as I do already! I was having problems with him because he wasnt running on his wheel like he used to and he also had mites. I got rid of the mites, switched the bedding and now he is as happy as ever!!!
amt041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt041
Thanks!

I got some fleece today and put it in his cage and also did some strips for his little house that he sleeps in. I was really curious as to how he would react, let's just say he loves it as much as I do already! I was having problems with him because he wasnt running on his wheel like he used to and he also had mites. I got rid of the mites, switched the bedding and now he is as happy as ever!!!
Thant is soooo GREAT!!!! you won't regret the switch

bmaditz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in