Carefresh bedding? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Carefresh bedding?

Up until a few months ago I was using recycled paper for my hedgehog, but switched to fleece liner because the odor became too much. She hasn't been using her wheel every since I switched to fleece liner so I no longer want to use it. My dad bought CareFresh natural pet bedding before asking me what she used before. Is it okay for hedgehogs? I have a female hedgehog, and she is 1 year and 1 month old.
alexandrabowl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo
Default Re: Carefresh bedding?

Check out this thread on the review of it:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=14922

I personally would never use it. I had it for my hamsters, but would never use it for my hedgehog (not even the litterbox).
They can eat it, it can harbor mites, and a bunch of other nasty stuff.
Her not wheeling may be due to the stress from going from recycled paper to liners. She should go back to wheeling after the stress lowers.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christemo
Check out this thread on the review of it:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=14922

I personally would never use it. I had it for my hamsters, but would never use it for my hedgehog (not even the litterbox).
They can eat it, it can harbor mites, and a bunch of other nasty stuff.
Her not wheeling may be due to the stress from going from recycled paper to liners. She should go back to wheeling after the stress lowers.
But I switched to it about 2 months ago, shouldn't she not be stressed by now?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

What kind of a wheel do you have? If it's something like a Comfort Wheel, it's possible that it's moving around too much when she runs, since the liners don't help hold it steady, and it's causing her to not want to run.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
What kind of a wheel do you have? If it's something like a Comfort Wheel, it's possible that it's moving around too much when she runs, since the liners don't help hold it steady, and it's causing her to not want to run.
Yes I do have that wheel, so maybe that's the problem! What type of wheel would you recommend?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Comfort Wheels are the best you can buy from a pet store, but if you're willing to look into another wheel, the best option out there is a Carolina Storm Wheel or Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel. You can find them here - http://www.carolinastormhedgehogs.com/t ... wheel.html The man who makes them, Larry, is a very active member on the forums here and is a great guy! The shipping is very fast, the wheels are silent and very easy to clean, and they're just wonderful. There's tons of great reviews here - viewforum.php?f=61

If you'd prefer to stick with the Comfort Wheel for now, or can't afford a CSW at the moment, you could try weighting the wheel's base down to see if that helps keep it steady for her to run on. Maybe you could try putting a small bag of sand or rice or something over the base, or something along those lines? If it moves around the cage, you can also attach it to the side of your cage. You can ziptie a metal latch (like ones on the end of dog leashes, you could probably find a cheap leash at a dollar store and cut the latch off) to it and then hook it to the cage.

I would suggest trying to fix the wheel and see if that helps her start running before you switch back off liners. They're really the most recommended and safest form of bedding.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
Comfort Wheels are the best you can buy from a pet store, but if you're willing to look into another wheel, the best option out there is a Carolina Storm Wheel or Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel. You can find them here - http://www.carolinastormhedgehogs.com/t ... wheel.html The man who makes them, Larry, is a very active member on the forums here and is a great guy! The shipping is very fast, the wheels are silent and very easy to clean, and they're just wonderful. There's tons of great reviews here - viewforum.php?f=61

If you'd prefer to stick with the Comfort Wheel for now, or can't afford a CSW at the moment, you could try weighting the wheel's base down to see if that helps keep it steady for her to run on. Maybe you could try putting a small bag of sand or rice or something over the base, or something along those lines? If it moves around the cage, you can also attach it to the side of your cage. You can ziptie a metal latch (like ones on the end of dog leashes, you could probably find a cheap leash at a dollar store and cut the latch off) to it and then hook it to the cage.

I would suggest trying to fix the wheel and see if that helps her start running before you switch back off liners. They're really the most recommended and safest form of bedding.
Last night I decided to tape her fleece liner to the cage instead of switching to the CareFresh bedding and it worked, she went on her wheel for an hour (the first time in over 2 months)!! I still may switch to the CSW; I've been looking at those wheels online for awhile but didn't know if it was better than the wheel she currently uses. Thank you so much!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yay, glad she ran!

Old 03-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

I noticed that the Carefresh bag doesn't list that it's safe for hedgies. That surprised me, but then after talking to people on here, I understand why now.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Other than the possible risk of mites, which doesn't seem to be an issue for other animals like rats, hamsters, and guinea pigs (from what I've read), Carefresh is just as safe for hedgies as for the other animals that it's recommended for. There's just as much risk that rodents might decide to eat it as there is for hedgies, and I'm sure it's drying for them, but they're not already predisposed to dry skin like hedgies. I know the dust factor can be an issue for rats and respiratory infections, if they're kept in an enclosed area with it. I think the reason Carefresh is not recommended for hedgies on the bag is because they're still a very relatively new pet and there's very little on the market that's advertised for them. And for the things that ARE advertised for them, most of them definitely aren't safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in