Fleece Liner vs. Corn Cob bedding? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fleece Liner vs. Corn Cob bedding?

I was looking into options for buying a cage and how I could do it on a budget. Then I saw that people were putting fleece liners on the bottom of the cages. This is the first I have seen or heard about this and wondered what the pros and cons were between fleece bedding and corn cob bedding. Do you change each just as often? How many hedgies actually take to a litter box? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
SlidZero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Fleece Liner vs. Corn Cob bedding?

very few hedgies take to litterbox training. most people just put a litterbox under the wheel where they "go" most of the time and this seems to really keep things in check and the few stray poops that do fly out are easy to pick up.

corn cob bedding can get stuck in "private parts" and is also pretty dusty which can cause upper respiratory issues. plus its also messy and gets all over the carpets and everywhere else.

fleece is easy to clean (just throw it in the washer with unscented laundry detergent) and it's safe not to mention cheaper since you don't have to keep buying it (unless you're like some that just like a variety of patterns lol). you can generally get away with changing fleece once a week as long as it's not too dirty.
shawnwk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would definitely use fleece instead of corn cob bedding. I haven't personally noticed that kind of bedding being very dusty (work at a pet store), but it would definitely be messy, and it's also sharp so it might hurt little hedgie feet. As shawn said, it could also get stuck in private parts, it's the perfect size for that. At the store, we only use it for birds, not for any small mammals.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for clarifying the dusty thing lilysmommy. it's been many, many years since i've used that kind of bedding for anyone so i definitely could be wrong about it being dusty now.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is there a certain fabric that is recommended? It seems to me that it would need to be changed more often than once a week, but what do I know I'm just here to learn as much as I can. How big of a mess do they make going to the restroom in a weeks time?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

if you use the litterbox under the wheel then 90% usually ends up in there and not on the liners so it's not a big mess. i used to change mine daily, but really it's not necessary to do it that often. and how much do they "go" in a week i don't think any of us know because we clean their wheels and the box under the wheel daily so there isn't really any pee or poop left in the cage for very long.

there are lots of fabrics you can use as long as there aren't any loose strings. fleece is recommended the most because it doesn't fray or have any loose strings so you don't have to sew anything, just cut it to the size of the cage. other fabrics can be used and are by many that can sew, but they have to be sewn together without loose strings. hedgies can get caught in strings very easily even a small one and it can cause severe damage, amputation, or even death. i only use fleece because even though my mother made me take a sewing class when i was little, i wouldn't have the slightest in how to do it (plus i don't have a sewing machine lol). hopefully others will come along that can tell you other safe fabrics you can use if you sew them.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

LOL...is there a reason they do most of their business while running on the wheel?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

They pretty much go as they run around in the wild, so the theory is that they don't realize that the poop/pee isn't going anywhere when they go on the wheel. So it's just natural for them to go potty when they're wheeling.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I also see things about coroplast. What is it used for? Do people use it for building walls on the second level?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Coroplast is generally used for flooring, walls, ramps, whatever. Most people use it to make a floor for a C&C (cubes & coroplast) cage, as well as folding it to make 6-10 inch walls to prevent climbing. You can use it for making second levels safe as well though, or for ramps. I even made a litter box out of some extra coroplast I had.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in