Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Liners & Cage bedding (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   hi :) & a little help with switching to fleece liners?? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13073)

nicole1389 11-14-2011 04:35 PM

hi :) & a little help with switching to fleece liners??

Ok so ive had little Hufflepuff since Sept.30th 2011 (its 11/14/11 today) and he was born on July 20th 2011. He has always had pine shavings at the breeders house so thats what I put him on when I got him home. I want to switch to fleece liners because it is cleaner and from what I have read it is better for their respiratory systems. I know he likes fleece b/c i gave him a small blanket to snuggle with in his hut (and oh gosh does he love that thing!) and i made him a dig box out of fleece scraps that he loves too. However, i tried about 3 or 4 weeks after i got him home to switch to fleece liners instead of shavings and i could tell that he just HATED it. He seemed so cranky and pissed off. I know he loves to dig and burrow because he digs a hole in his shavings and sleeps there under his blanket. If i want to switch to fleece, then how could i do so without making my little Hufflepuff angry? should i switch his home to a fleece dig box or give him something else? thanks a bunch guys, and any input is greatly appreciated :)

nikki 11-14-2011 06:19 PM

Re: hi :) & a little help with switching to fleece liners??

Hi, it may not have been that he didn't like that fleece, but that some hedgies just get grumpy with change. I would try again and give it a week or so to see how he acts. I have switched lots of hedgies onto fleece and they usually adjust pretty good after the first few day. Good luck!

nicole1389 11-14-2011 07:05 PM

and now that i think about it, he does get kinda cranky every time i change his shavings and clean his cage so that makes a lot of sense!

hanhan27 11-14-2011 07:16 PM

It might also be the smells. When I change my hog's liner, I always keep something "dirty" in the cage so she has something that smells like her after the clean liner is put in.

I use a great liner that I actually bought from Nikki! I put the liner down in the cage, put smallish pieces of fleece in her igloo and her other 2 hiding spots, plus fleece strips (pieces of fleece about 1 inch wide and 6 inches long) scattered around her cage. She usually drags a lot of it into her igloo when she goes to sleep so she can make a pretty nice nest for herself and has enough fabric to burrow around. :)