Switching from paper pet bedding to liners... any advice? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Switching from paper pet bedding to liners... any advice?

(Sorry if this is lengthy, but I have to vent!! )

I have always weighed the pros and cons with both paper bedding and the ever-popular fleece liners, but I have always gone with the paper pet bedding because it was just easier for me and Carlos seems to love digging in it and "rooting" around for worms. Also, he is used to bedding because he has always lived in it.

However, I am fed up with paper bedding!! It was so dusty, and sometimes I would pick Carlos up and his huffing noises sounded slightly stuffy for a few minutes. He would sound more like "Vvvt vvvt vvvt" instead of the normal "Hfff hfff hfff" And I am 100% certain it was because of the dust/bedding, because he'd snort a couple times and be back to normal! Sometimes I'd help him along by brushing dust off his nose with my fingertip...

It made me feel bad, and one time I did try to switch to fleece... but when I did, I but his old bedding in his litter box, and he went and slept in there instead (which he NEVER does...) So I took out the fleece and put his paper bedding back, and he dug in it enthusiastically and went to bed in his normal spot. This was just a couple weeks ago.

Today was the last straw!!! > I just bought new bedding yesterday and cleaned his house, then this morning I picked him up, and his shiny black nose was all dull and white (coated with dust ) and he was so stuffy he actually sneezed! I put water on my finger and wiped his nose, and ended up having to pick clumps of dust from his nostrils. I could tell he felt better right when I did that. His breathing went back to normal and he cuddled up to me with what I interpret as gratitude. <3

I did NOT want to put him back in that bedding for another second. So I dumped the brand new stuff in the trash, rinsed all the remaining dust out with water, and put the fleece sheet back in, this time with not a single piece of paper bedding. It was easy to see that Carlos was very confused when I put him in his newly lined cage. He walked all over it, looking very alert and mildly concerned. I sat by him and gave him treats, until he finally went to bed under his favorite towel/blanket.

I hope it helps Carlos that this fleece has been sitting on my bed since I got it, so hopefully it has some of my scent which he is very used to and trusting of.

That is the end of my venting, sorry I had to get that all off my chest.

Now, my question is... what advice might you have for me when it comes to maintaining fleece liners?
With the paper bedding, I'd spot clean every day, and dump it out and replace it as needed (Once a week, sometimes every other week, and every time I missed a day of spot cleaning. Also, every time Carlos got a big bath.)

I intend to do what I've read some others do, which is buy fleece that is twice as long as his cage and simply fold it in half.

Also, if any one else has switched from bedding to liners, did you do anything in particular to help your hedgie adapt? I think treats and his usual blanket helped Carlos a little, but...

Old 07-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Switching from paper pet bedding to liners... any advice?

When I first got feral I went with bedding and I was reluctant to switch because she did seem to love to burrow and move through the shavings it was funny seeing the bedding move like a little hedgie shark was down there. I keep both my hedgies igloos with an old **** and some fleece strips so they can still burrow deep down into their home and do the same with a tissue box to help them when they have these urges.

i switched due to wanting to avoid any and all health issues possible and she took a day of confusion but then was more active and seem happy as could be.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

As far as maintaining...It depends a bit on how messy your hog is. If they're pretty messy, you may have to change liners every other day or so. If they're relatively clean, you could probably spot clean nightly and just change the liner when they start looking grimy. Depending on if Lily's tracked baby food all over her liner, hers gets changed at least once a week, and sometimes twice. But she mostly poops/pees on her wheel and everything goes into the litterbox under it.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

a slight "trick" i have for Pirate is I bought several Dollar Store shamwow knockoffs and placed them with the fleece, and the fleece is doubled over. I change shamwow sheet that is under his wheel everyday, because when he pees it runs off the wheel. It keeps the smell down, and they have done fine in the wash.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCOGAR
i switched due to wanting to avoid any and all health issues possible and she took a day of confusion but then was more active and seem happy as could be.
I felt similar about bedding, it was cute seeing Carlos dig around like he was a wild 'hog. I think I will invest in a dig box and see how he likes it. I'm glad to hear she adapted quickly, here's to hoping my little fella will, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
As far as maintaining...It depends a bit on how messy your hog is. If they're pretty messy, you may have to change liners every other day or so. If they're relatively clean, you could probably spot clean nightly and just change the liner when they start looking grimy.
Thanks for the tip! I think Carlos is pretty clean. I got him a hidey-hole to hide in but he seems to use it as a potty more often than not. I wish I still had the pan that went under his CSW cause he goes on his wheel too. I guess I'll have to look for a replacement pan!
Thanks again for the help
Old 07-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbat3
a slight "trick" i have for Pirate is I bought several Dollar Store shamwow knockoffs and placed them with the fleece, and the fleece is doubled over. I change shamwow sheet that is under his wheel everyday, because when he pees it runs off the wheel. It keeps the smell down, and they have done fine in the wash.
That is a fantastic idea!! I have seen those shamwows at my local dollar store! I will definitely have to try that! Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in