Hedgehog Central banner

New hedgie mom and dad

822 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Melanie G. 
#1 ·
Hi all, me and my husband just got a baby hedgie. We got him on sunday afternoon. We have all the right things for him, a nice cage, big wheel, quality cat food and a little shelter.

I know he's noctural too, but it seems even at night he wants to sleep forever. I've been monitoring his food and he eats just fine, and he eliminates just fine (all over his wheel) but we've only gotten two chances to really play with him since getting him. Not for lack of trying!
Some nights he just doesn't want to wake up at all, others he's really cranky. The two times he's been playful he's adorable and cuddly.

My only concern is if I'm doing something wrong. We make sure the light is in the room during the day so he sleeps when he should, he has a heating pad under his cage to keep him warm and we turned off the a/c vent in his room so it doesn't get too cold. I've tried to feed him fruit so he has something other than meat in his diet but he just doesn't have an interest in it or just plain doesn't like it. And yet at night he's still cranky.

He's about 9 weeks old. Could he be quilling? I've read alot about this too but I cant really give him a soothing oatmeal bath when all he does is sleep. This momma needs help!

See less See more
#2 ·
At 9 weeks old, hedgehogs can sleep for up to 22 hours a day. Babies needs a lot of sleep. It's okay to take him out during the day but he may just want to sleep and cuddle with you. Some people really enjoy this, I know I do. I just sit and cuddle with my little girl while we are watching a movie or tv.

If he needs a bath, just wake him up. He will be fine. He will need cuddles afterwards and a warm lap. :)

#3 ·
AWH I'm jealous because you can bond with him by letting him sleep in your lap. Olive doesn't sleep in my lap the second I bring her out of her cage she is like "MUST SMELL AND TOUCH EVERYTHING!!!!" She lets me hold her for about a minute while she wakes up then she is off to explore lol. She won't eat fruits or veggies either. I have tried all..I have been trying with different organic baby foods too I use chop sticks to feed her worms so she doesn't think my fingers are food but, she knows those chopsticks mean worms so I dipped one end in pumpkin, she licked it thinking worm and then she wouldn't touch it. Some just don't like fruits or veggies. You can get him a supplement for his food if you are worried. They don't really eat that many fruits and veggies in the wild so they are not SUPER important.

#5 ·
They do sleep a lot at that age. But as long as you can tell that he has been up during the night to eat and run on his wheel, I wouldn't worry too much.
You aren't doing anything wrong! He's just being a hedgie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.