Doesn't Like Hedgie Bag? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Doesn't Like Hedgie Bag?

I always felt like Pepper was getting left out since he didn't have hedgie bags and it sounds like everyone loves them so much. So I bought him a lovely turtle printed one, and it arrived this morning. I was very excited and put it down in front of him. He huffed and walked away. I tried to nudge him into it. He got very huffy so I gave up and put it in his igloo for him to discover on his own. Well, then he refused to go into his igloo and paced in front of it, making angry noises.

Anyone seen this reaction before? I thought he'd LIKE it. Do hedgie bags take getting used to if they've never had one? Do some hedgies just not like them? I really wanted him to be as excited as I was about it, hahaha. Oh well, at least it's pretty! If he doesn't want it, I'll use it for something.
"You must write every single day of your life…You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads….may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world." Ray Bradbury
jinglesharks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Doesn't Like Hedgie Bag?

Hm...I wonder if maybe it smells weird from the packaging it was in or something? Hedgies are so sensitive to smell, maybe that's what he's reacting to.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

What colour is the interior? Sometimes they don't like certain colours, or think they don't. Smokey thought he didn't like his red Christmas one and I had to put him inside it. Once inside he realized red was no big deal.

Is it large enough? Have you washed it with detergent he is used to? Is the opening obvious so he can easily get in. Try folding over the opening onto itself as that usually makes the opening more obvious.

Sometimes it takes them a while to figure out. Try putting him in it. He'ell catch on.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
Hm...I wonder if maybe it smells weird from the packaging it was in or something? Hedgies are so sensitive to smell, maybe that's what he's reacting to.
I washed it with the same detergent all his other stuff gets washed with... so I don't think that's it. He's never really liked change so he's probably just being affronted that I put something new in his cage.
"You must write every single day of your life…You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads….may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world." Ray Bradbury
Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
What colour is the interior? Sometimes they don't like certain colours, or think they don't. Smokey thought he didn't like his red Christmas one and I had to put him inside it. Once inside he realized red was no big deal.

Is it large enough? Have you washed it with detergent he is used to? Is the opening obvious so he can easily get in. Try folding over the opening onto itself as that usually makes the opening more obvious.

Sometimes it takes them a while to figure out. Try putting him in it. He'ell catch on.
It's a very pretty blue, I can't believe they can get fussy about colours, haha.

It's 9"x10", and Pepper is a small hoggie, so he has plenty of room. It was washed with the usual non-scented detergent.
I'll try putting him in tonight. He was so mad that I even tried to suggest he go in that I gave up. They're so silly sometimes! I expect he's just annoyed because it's different and he'll get used to it, I was just really expecting him to be, well, eager about it.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

I love your stories Nancy! You have one for every situation. And I'm always learning something new. I didn't even know they could see colors!
I wish you could write a book. Oh I know what would be fun-a comic book like Calvin & Hobbs!! But Hobbs would be a hedgie!

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Thanks. heehee

I don't think they can see colours but Smokey certainly did not like that red bag at first. That was the Christmas when we only had 9 hedgehogs so I made everyone a special Christmas bag. I made them all different so I would know whose bag was whose. Smokey's had a patterned outside and red interior. I'd used the same outside fabric on other bags but with different colour interiors. He would NOT go in the red bag so I gave him a navy interior one instead and he went right in. What a silly boy.

I've also had a couple that did not like yellow and I've heard that from a few other people as well.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
I've also had a couple that did not like yellow and I've heard that from a few other people as well.
I've heard that dogs can see black, white, grey, green, blue and yellow, so maybe hedgies can too?

PS- Nancy, you really do tell great stories! I think a small short-story hedgie book would be cute!
Old 08-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would love it too if Nancy ever wrote a book and would definitely buy it
Old 08-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

It took Zoe a while to get used to the bag too, we introduced them at the ripe old age of 5.

We just left them in her cage all the time, and after a month or so she finally started sleeping in the bag instead of under it. Now we have to pretty much pull her out of the bag!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in