No-sew hedgie pouch! - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default No-sew hedgie pouch!

Hello Hedgehog Central Forum-ers! I wanted to share a crafting project with everyone. I tried to make it as simple as possible so that even those who claim to be “craft challenged” can make one! It’s a no-sew-hedgie sack pouch of sorts. Hope you guys will like it! And if you have any suggestions or if you made one but put your own twist on it, I’d love to see what you guys did! Thanks!

Finished product:

Can be made with or without the strips for burrowing]

Supplies:
2 18in. squares of fleece
Ribbon or fleece for the tie
6 1in. by 9in. scrap pieces of fleece
Something to mark the fleece with
Scisors
Measuring tape

Steps
1. Lay your two 18in. squares of fleece on top of each other. [I found that you can make your squares bigger or smaller depending on the size of your hedgehog. Also from here on it’s best to do the rest of the steps with the pieces on top of each other, that way you don’t have to do everything twice ]

2. Cut each into the same sized 18in. circle. [It’s easiest to just cut off the corners, I did so by putting tick marks on each side and cutting in a crescent moon like motion towards the tick marks. If yours doesn’t turn out perfectly round or even looks more diamond shaped that’s OK! Luckily this is a project where things don’t have to be EXACT! ]

3. With your writing utensil, make some tick marks around the edges of your circle. You will want to make them in sets of two so that by the end you have an even number of tick marks. Make sure to leave some room between the bottom of the tick marks and the edge of the fabric. [This is where you will be weaving your ribbon or strip of fleece through in order to make a draw string closure for the bag. You can make these as tall or as short as you’d like depending on the width of what you will be using for the “string.” They also don’t have to be perfectly spaced apart; you don’t want them to be TOO far apart though.]

4. Cut slits in the fleece where you put each of your tick marks. It’s easiest to fold the fleece over where the tick mark is and make a small cut. Also, it’s always easier to make a small cut bigger to fit your string through than make a cut that’s too big smaller.

5. Once all the slits are cut, take your ribbon or strip of fleece and weave it in and out of each stich.

6. Pull the string tight to make a little pouch and close the opening. You can leave it like this and put your prickly friend in to snuggle, sleep, or carry around the house etc. [MAKE SURE TO LEAVE AN OPENING SO THAT AIR CAN GET IN AND OUT!] Or you can add some more in the easy fun steps that follow!

7. Open up your pouch a bit.

8. Fold it inside out. You can see a general circular floor-ish area.

9. Along the circle draw about 6 slits [You can add more or less as desired.]

10. Cut the slips in what is NOW the TOP layer ONLY! [I found this was much easier if I pulled the two pieces apart a bit. Also if you turn the bag right side out again it should be a blank un-marked un-cut piece of fleece, that’s how you know you cut through only one layer rather than two…]

11. Now take your 1in. strips and cut a slit on one side of each.

12. To attach your strips to the slits, first weave a strip through a slit. Then, put the tail of the strip through the hole of the strip and pull tight.

13. Once the strips are attached, turn the bag right-side-out and WA-LA! You now have a hedgie pouch with burrowing strips! You can even use them as a hut for the cage or put them in the igloo!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: No-sew hedgie pouch!

Sorry! I just re-looked this over, and a lot of the pictures or cut in half...I will do my best to fix it!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

That is sooo adorable! I'm going to try to make this at home once I get my hands on some more fleeece!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Love it! Great job toblerone
Kenzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaelikestaquitos
That is sooo adorable! I'm going to try to make this at home once I get my hands on some more fleeece!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzy
Love it! Great job toblerone
Thanks guys! It really means a lot!! I've been meaning to make and post this for a while now!

I'm really having a lot of troubles with the pictures, can you two see the full picture at all? Or is it just parts of pictures? I think my computer may be cutting them off.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default No-sew hedgie pouch! [with improved pictures!]

Hello Hedgehog Central Forum-ers! I wanted to share a crafting project with everyone. I tried to make it as simple as possible so that even those who claim to be “craft challenged” can make one! It’s a no-sew-hedgie sack pouch of sorts. Hope you guys will like it! And if you have any suggestions or if you made one but put your own twist on it, I’d love to see what you guys did! Thanks!
Finished product:

Can be made with or without the strips for burrowing]

Supplies:
2 18in. squares of fleece
Ribbon or fleece for the tie
6 1in. by 9in. scrap pieces of fleece
Something to mark the fleece with
Scisors
Measuring tape

Steps
1. Lay your two 18in. squares of fleece on top of each other. [I found that you can make your squares bigger or smaller depending on the size of your hedgehog. Also from here on it’s best to do the rest of the steps with the pieces on top of each other, that way you don’t have to do everything twice ]

2. Cut each into the same sized 18in. circle. [It’s easiest to just cut off the corners, I did so by putting tick marks on each side and cutting in a crescent moon like motion towards the tick marks. If yours doesn’t turn out perfectly round or even looks more diamond shaped that’s OK! Luckily this is a project where things don’t have to be EXACT! ]

3. With your writing utensil, make some tick marks around the edges of your circle. You will want to make them in sets of two so that by the end you have an even number of tick marks. Make sure to leave some room between the bottom of the tick marks and the edge of the fabric. [This is where you will be weaving your ribbon or strip of fleece through in order to make a draw string closure for the bag. You can make these as tall or as short as you’d like depending on the width of what you will be using for the “string.” They also don’t have to be perfectly spaced apart; you don’t want them to be TOO far apart though.]

4. Cut slits in the fleece where you put each of your tick marks. It’s easiest to fold the fleece over where the tick mark is and make a small cut. Also, it’s always easier to make a small cut bigger to fit your string through than make a cut that’s too big smaller.

5. Once all the slits are cut, take your ribbon or strip of fleece and weave it in and out of each stich.

6. Pull the string tight to make a little pouch and close the opening. You can leave it like this and put your prickly friend in to snuggle, sleep, or carry around the house etc. [MAKE SURE TO LEAVE A SLIGHT OPENING SO THAT AIR CAN GET IN AND OUT!] Or you can add some more in the easy fun steps that follow!

7. Open up your pouch a bit.
8. Fold it inside out. You can see a general circular floor-ish area.

9. Along the circle draw about 6 slits [You can add more or less as desired.]

10. Cut the slips in what is NOW the TOP layer ONLY! [I found this was much easier if I pulled the two pieces apart a bit. Also if you turn the bag right side out again it should be a blank un-marked un-cut piece of fleece, that’s how you know you cut through only one layer rather than two…]
[pic 08]

11. Now take your 1in. strips and cut a slit on one side of each.

12. To attach your strips to the slits, first weave a strip through a slit. Then, put the tail of the strip through the hole of the strip and pull tight.

13. Once the strips are attached, turn the bag right-side-out and WA-LA! You now have a hedgie pouch with burrowing strips! You can even use them as a hut for the cage or put them in the igloo!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

ohh i cant see them at all!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Great job The bag is beautiful.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda
ohh i cant see them at all!
Oh no! Can you not see the ones from the first post? or the second post? cause the ones from the first post are all weird, the real instructions with full pictures is in one of my comments I made on the thread. Hopefully those aren't all funky too. I may just post this again and *crosses fingers* hopefully it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgieonboard
Great job The bag is beautiful.
Thank you Hedgieonboard!!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

I LOVE IT!!! Brilliant! Such a great idea without having to sew & it's ADORABLE too!! Well done! Even though I can sew, I am going to have to make me some of these! I think they would really come in handy when you are trying to get a cranky, uncooperative hedgie out of the bag - just open it up! Ha! Love it!!

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in