Coroplast "igloo"/hut - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2015, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Coroplast "igloo"/hut

I am currently preparing for my first hedgie (so excited!) and am looking into igloo/hideaway options. I'd love something a bit more unique as I don't really care for the typical pet store igloos (they take up more space since they don't fit into the corner of the cage and most are partially see-through and don't block a lot of light).

I've seen the igloo covers and they're cute, but not my thing, also I'd like to avoid sewn objects because of the threads.

I've seen a few people who have made wooden huts and I like the customization possible, but want to avoid using wood because of the possibility of mites and the difficulty of cleaning it if(when) it gets soiled.

I'd like to make one of these huts out of coroplast instead of wood. I'm not exactly sure yet how I would construct it but I'm thinking of drilling holes in the coroplast and connecting the pieces with zip ties (which would be clipped to avoid eye-pokes).

I'd like to know if any of you have tried this before and have any advice/tips or if there are any reasons why you wouldn't recommend it?

My apologies for the long post, and thank you so much for your time and input, it's greatly appreciated!!

~ Defnyc
Defnyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2015, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hmmm I've never heard of an igloo made of coroplast, but if you have an idea of how to make one you should go for it! Just make sure that it's hedgehog proof (nothing sticking out, no access to cable ties, etc). If you want something unique I'd check this one out, it was posted by another user https://www.etsy.com/listing/1875192...ef=favs_view_1 it's pretty unique and seems very cozy but just keep in mind that it is pricey.
liam1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2015, 02:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've done this before! I just secured it with packing tape since it kept any possibly sharp edges at bay also. The one I made for Nina was easy to clean, but she didn't like sleeping in it since I left too big of an opening... she did, however, love to use it as a litter box and that's how she was litter trained lol.
CourtneyLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you guys so much for your input! I think I will go ahead and give it a shot! Here's hoping it doesn't end up as a litter box!
Defnyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2015, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I just wanted to mention that felted material, like used in that link that was posted, isn't safe to use for hedgehogs. Its way to easy for their nails to get caught in it.
Lilysmommy likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

I recently ordered a product called "The Cube" from the website "Jellyhogs" . It's basically a cosy fleece cube with a hole for your hedgehog to enter and sleep in. Check it out!

hedgehogbella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in