Can never trust my dad.... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Nancy
  • 1 Post By CoffeeKat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Can never trust my dad....

I am kinda worried right now, because I trusted my dad to make my cake wheel out of a cake keeper. :P Not a good choice, because he trusted his knowledge off of hedgehogs to make one. Let me tell you this, he is no expert... Now the wheel is attached to the cage, but the wheel that is supposed to be on the outside of the cake keeper/bucket (like Larry's,) is on the inside. And then the wheel was wobbling really bad because of the plastic tub, and so he attached to pieces of like, really thin wood on the outside, and on the inside of the wheel. The wood is smaller then the wheel so there would be no way for my hedgie to get to it, hopefuly, but I've just heard having wood in the cage can cause problems....The wheel doesn't wobble so much anymore but what I am worried about is the wood.... I decided to try this wheel out for a while, and if it doesn't work I will buy some pvc pipe, cut it and make a stand for it. What do you guys think? About the wood and the wobbling?
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

I can only say from personal experience with wobbly wheels for my hedgehogs. I have comfort wheels right now, and am looking into a bucket wheel because I am just really tired of them. Anyway, both of my comfort wheels wobble when they run. One of them doesn't give it a second thought, while the other sort of sits on the wheel, runs a few steps, then pauses to again.

I know wood can attract mites, so you'd just have to watch for that. Also, if your hedgehog does get mites, you'll have to get rid of the wood completely as that can be a home for them.
Teddi4211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Unless your hedgehog gets mites, there is no worry about the wood. My concern would be when you have to clean the wheel the wood is going to get constantly wet. I totally understand his using wood pieces to strengthen the wheel. Some buckets are extremely flimsy.

The roller wheel being on the inside is no big deal unless hedgie rubs against it. As long as the wheel tread is wide enough it will be fine.

As Teddi4211 has mentioned, some hedgehogs are not the least bit bothered by a wobbly wheel, others won't use the wheel if it wobbles too much.
Lilysmommy and Aether like this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thankyou so much. I will try this out for a while, and if he doesn't like it I will make a stand. The posts you both have made have been so helpful. Thankyou again.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Also, tell your dad thanks for helping you out
Artist likes this.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeKat View Post
Also, tell your dad thanks for helping you out
I will, thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in