will not poop or pee anywhere but wheel - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2014, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down will not poop or pee anywhere but wheel

Milo is my two month old hedgehog and he refuses to do his duty anywhere but in his wheel. Ill occasionally find some poop in his igloo but I would have to say 90% of the time his wheel gets fully covered in 2 days if I dont clean it. Which I do almost every single day if its needed. I have him currently on aspen bedding. And waiting to get the fleece bedding. Or felt I forget which one I should get but im wondering if theres anyway to encourage him to go elsewhere? Its just a huge mess and he gets his feet all dirty as well. Any advice would be great
newhedgiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2014, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

That's a normal hedgehog thing. I rarely if ever find Penny's poop anywhere but on her wheel. I use a paper towel underneath the wheel in shoe box tops cut to allow easy access and change out the paper towels every day and the shoe box lid every three days to catch left over poop. I want to switch to a litter box but haven't found anything I like that has a low enough clearance. But cleaning the wheel is a daily chore. In the two weeks I have had Penny, I have only not had to clean her wheel once and she had a very long day and didn't use it as much.

As for the poopy feet, foot baths are awesome. I am still wondering how often to give them since my little one rarely gets the famous poop boots. But I've given her one bath and two foot baths in the two weeks I've had her.
Nancy likes this.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 12:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

In the wild hedgehogs will poop while they are running. As they are not running on a wheel, it just gets left behind. It's normal hedgie behaviour. You can try litter training them, but I've never had any success with that.
Nancy, nikki and lilsurfergrlsp like this.
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hector is 10 weeks, I put a post on asking the same question a few days back! He does the same, I was told I was lucky as he has kind of trained himself in respect of, sometimes there are poops round to the side of his wheel, I give Hector a foot bath as and when he needs it, roughly every 2-3 days but with just warm water, no added soaps, he splashes around the puddles, I use a washing up bowl that has dimples in so the water is in various places and he wonders in and out of them, and that gets the poop off lol
Kaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ivr only given milo foot baths since I had him I want to give him his first bath soon but hes traumatized just to splash in water for his feet
Old 06-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

If it stresses him out and you are worried, wet a towel or paper towels and lets him walk around on those. Might be a better option since he really doesn't like water.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

The only way he will get over his fear of water is to realize that nothing bad will happen to him during a foot bath. The only way for him to realize that is repeated (as in nightly) uneventful foot baths. Just be sure the water is comfortable on your wrist, and there is something on the bottom so he doesn't slip.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Okay thank you and for trimming his nails? Im really scared to do this because im afraid to cut to short. The breeder says shell do it for free but its a drive to get to her.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Have you watched anyone trim a hedgehog's nails before? If not, it may be worth the drive to see how its done if you are scared to do it on your own.
If you decide to try on your own, it can be easier to do when your hedgie is in the tub. You don't want to cut too short- you can cut the quick and cause your hedgie to bleed a bit (I've accidentally cut too short before on more than one occasion and my hedgies were fine- I think I felt worse then they did).
Do you have anyone to hold your hedgie while you trim the nails? That can also help.
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah ill have to trim then soon by next week probably.

Tags
hedgehog bedding liner, poop, potty training issues, wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in