Silent Spinner Wheel vs. Carolina Storm Wheel - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014, 03:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Silent Spinner Wheel vs. Carolina Storm Wheel

I was watching a video about some girl's cage on youtube and she happened to mention that the silent spinner wheel is bad for hedgies. I've had the silent spinner since I got Heidi (about 4 years ago) and I've never noticed any problems, but now I'm freaking out. Do I need to get her the Carolina Storm Wheel? I've looked it up and it bothers me that it's made out of pvc pipes for the bottom, I guess it just makes me second guess the quality of the wheel. Does anyone on here have one? Thank you(:
Krista0140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

I used to have a silent spinner with my first hedgehog. Then I found blood on it. I researched and found out that their nails can get caught in the crack down the middle and get ripped out. Later I found out that the blood was from some other issue, but I was DONE with that silent spinner. I bought a bucket wheel and it has been GREAT.

If you get them from Carolina Storm Hedgehogs or Volcano View than they are very good quality. The PVC pipe is very sturdy and also cleans very well as you can take the base apart if need be. They are the most quiet wheel ever (I wish they made them in hamster size as my hamster's wheel is so loud!) and it is waaaay easier to clean, trust me. I think you will be happy with a bucket wheel! And even though your hedgehog has not had anything happen yet, with a silent spinner it is only a matter of time as it only takes once for a nail to get caught.
nikki and tofrus like this.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ILikeSpikes

Use code SUMMER10 to get 10% off until July 12th!

Aether is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Agreed with Aether, I'd definitely go for the CSW. They're wonderful wheels. Why does the PVC pipe bother you? Like Aether said, they're very sturdy (more so than any of the pet store wheels, IMO, Lily had a Comfort wheel at first & it was pretty wobbly), easy to clean, and the way the PVC pipe fits together, you can adjust the tilt of the wheel if your hedgehog is having a lot of problems sliding out or anything like that.

Also, Aether, send LarryT a message. I know I've seen him make some small wheels for hamsters & other animals before, you may be able to do a special request for a small one for your hamster.
nikki and Aether like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oh my gosh that would be AMAZING!! I will do that! ^o^

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ILikeSpikes

Use code SUMMER10 to get 10% off until July 12th!

Aether is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Go with the CSW or the bucket wheel. They are the best. Nara is almost 4 and the wheel still looks perfect. It has 4 different height adjustments, which is good as your hedgie grows and comes with a litter tray.

If you look around there are some pictures of horrific looking bloody Silent Spinners on here, or maybe even youtube.

I have 3 and I only have one hedgehog! I have the smaller wheel for travel and an extra wheel "just in case".

ML
nikki, Lilysmommy and Aether like this.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is there a way to attach it to the wire cage instead of using the base? Heidi prefers her wheel lower to the ground and doesn't like pooping anywhere other than her litter box on the corner, can you order it without the litter tray? And as for the PVC pipe bothering me, I guess I'm just a really picky about the quality of things and since I can't go in a store and mess with the csw i was just worried it would be cheap. But I'll do anything for Heidi so, I'll get her one.
MomLady and Aether like this.
Krista0140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

The CSW is very sturdy and Larry now sends an extra roller bearing. Check his website--he's a sponsor--there's a link at the top of this forum.
Like I said, I've had mine for almost 4 years now. Nothing cheap about it.

He's got lots of pictures on his website too.

The CSBW comes in colors too
LarryT likes this.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If you're concerned, check the reviews on his threads in the For Sale forum. There are many, many good reviews. His wheels really are great. If you'd rather not get the PVC base & just be able to attach the wheel to the cage, send him a message on his website (or on here). You may be able to order the wheel without the base if it bothers you, and I'm sure it won't be any problem to order it without the litter box. Though, if I remember right without getting mine out, the lowest setting is very close to the ground, so I can't imagine it'd be a big deal even with using the base. Message Larry though. He's very nice & is very quick to respond usually.
LarryT and MomLady like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

CSW

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

I had a silent spinner and the slits worried me to death! I ordered a CSW from Larry T and I love it. The quality is much better, it is adjustable and super easy to clean. It did take our girl a little bit of time to get used to it. I had mine shipped to Canada. The service was excellent, I emailed Larry with questions and he responded very quickly.
As a little plus I love the colours the wheels come in!
LarryT and MomLady like this.
phoenix1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in