Silent Spinner - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Silent Spinner

Hello!

I'm new (see fun board for my introduction) and I have a question. On Dutch info-sites I saw the silent spinner (biggest size for rats and chincilla's). It was presented as a good wheel for hedgehogs as well. But after hours of looking on this site I'm beginning to have some doubts. Igor loves it and has been running on it all night. The sound doesn't bother me (i've had critters in my room since I was 4 so I'm used to sounds in the nighttime).

Should I consider buying another wheel, like the flying saucer? Or is this wheel just fine? The cleaning might be more difficult but I don't mind putting my energy in mij hedgie and taking care he has a clean place to live in.

Also another question; I now use towels instead of fleece. Is fleece really better? In this case I will buy some metres.

Thanks in advance.
Venusdoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: Silent Spinner

Towels tend to have loose threads that a hedgie can get their little feet caught in,i'd go with fleece
Lot's of people in Europe use the silent spinner cause it is readily available but that don't make it safe,i'd suggest a Comfort Wheel or a Savic Wheel. My wheels are great but shipping to the netherlands is probably way expensive
BTW congrats on the win against Brazil!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

I will get fleece right away then.

And what about the fyling saucer wheel? I saw some pro's and con's about it, but I think it will be easier to find ?

Thanks, I don't like soccer at all, but Dutch are crazy about it. The whole country turns orange every other year. You should look it up "Oranje gekte" "Nederlands elftal" "WK 2010 Nederland". Haha!

Old 07-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think the general residing view on this board is that some sort of cake walk wheel is preferred. This might be made from the inside of a large bucket or the lid of a cake serving dish (the clearplastic tupperwear lids). The reason is that these wheels are generally larger which is better for a hedgehog who's spine is not as flexible curving backwards as a rat or mouse. Also the smooth surface is safer for the hedgehog's feet/nails and easier to clean. You can find some different resources online and on these forums about building one of these wheels yourself if you're feeling crafty.

The worry about silent spinners is two fold - the bases have been known to be unstable tipping forward onto the hedgehog. also nail can get caught and torn off in the cracks. This said, my hedgehog ran on a SS for a number of months when she came home without issue. It is better safe than sorry though.

I don't have any experience with a flying saucer. I am interested in getting one as a travel wheel but they're not readily available in my area. Concerns about the FS focus on possible joint issues (running on an angle) however the wheel is still too new to say if this is actually an issue. I also wonder personally about any urine or poo splatter from the spinning wheel.
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've been looking on youtube for video's on the flying saucer wheel. What I saw as:

- The hedgie's walk not normal, but a little banded/crooked (I don't know the word in English)
- The hedgie's walk so hard they fly off the wheel

It doesn't seem safe at all!
Old 07-11-2010, 03:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I've been looking on youtube for video's on the flying saucer wheel. What I saw as:

- The hedgie's walk not normal, but a little banded/crooked (I don't know the word in English)
- The hedgie's walk so hard they fly off the wheel

It doesn't seem safe at all!
Would you mind posting links to those videos?

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm sorry I didn't look in this forum for a while.

Here are some links;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkGGiX29bXw

Here you see the hedgie falling off the wheel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qekwixNcH78

See the right leg , it's crooked
Old 07-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

The first one, the poster mentioned that the hedgehog just got the wheel and hadn't quite figured it out yet. The second one, is my own video. I can assure you that even though Atty's legs might appear to be crooked, he ran exactly the same as he did on the bucket wheel.

I am still waiting for someone to post a genuine video where it shows a hedgehog having crossed legs or running awkwardly. I just haven't seen it.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

I, personally, do not like FS wheels. In the first video, that little guy looked like he wanted to run so bad, but the wheel tilt was prohibiting him from doing that. That's just what my eyes saw, though.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

My hedgehog got her nail caught in the crack of the silent spinner while she was running and it ripped right off. It was horrible! We now have a Carolina Storm wheel and it seems to work well and there are no cracks in it for little nails to get caught.
Mrs. T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in