I scored on a Wheel but don't buy it full price - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb I scored on a Wheel but don't buy it full price

So I was hoping to purchase a nicer larger wheel for my Hedgehog once I got donations. The one he has, I suddenly realized, was far too small and I felt really bad because I know spine issues are developed from cramped wheels. The hedgehog is the school pet which I paid 125-140 dollars for the Hedgehog + his set-up. I have been paid back nil and was set on not paying another cent for the hedgehog unless one of my peers donated or my principal finally remembered that she was going to throw a hedgehog drive almost a month ago.

He runs on it a lot and for the betterment of the animal I was going to suck it up and check out the 12" rim wheels at Petco because they were having a 30% sale.

The sale they were having on some bucket wheels were sold out, there were some nice air super silent wheels but they were a disappointing 36 dollars which was far past what I was going to contribute.

Thankfully, there was a heaping pile of Monsters Inc University Small Animal Toys Collection on clearance. Don't get me wrong, that movie was a popular American movie for all kids and adults but this type of merchandise was ass ugly. No flipping wonder it was on clearance. The colors were of lime vomit to green vomit, with unrealistic stickers of 'monster eyes' meant to put on baby cradles, there were monster toys that had no representation of anything in the movie, just the logo, that fetched an apparent $$ price tag. Even cut down this stuff looked goofy and cheaply made with an appalling price tag.

However, in the back of all that crap, was a single 12" rim very nice baby blue colored that looked semi-used and no tags. Instead of a whopping 26 dollars I would have paid for it, I instead paid 4 dollars!

The wheel was apparently returned and was to be tossed because of the broken metal stand the wheel sat on and used items cannot be resold. The Monsters University stickers had fallen off as well, thank goodness.

People out there who are eyeballing this very fine colored wheel don't pay full price.

The metal stand was cheaply made, the metal easily bendable and after a few hard runs on it the Hedgehog kept flipping it over making me eventually just glue it to the floor of the cage. Then I had to hot glue the wheel back on.

The wheel is noisy but I fixed it with some olive oil. (I wouldn't dare use WD-40 especially with a Hedgehog who enjoys licking and anointing so much).

The stickers, if you are into that kind of stuff, have the stickiness of most readjustable tape, and they come off easy.

I'm happy I got him a big wheel for such a cheap price but I would have not have been happy at all if I had to do all that for an almost 30 dollar wheel.
AshWolFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sweetergrrrl

LOL I work at a Petco. All the associates of the store hated the Monsters Inc. stuff. It was awful and didn't sell well at all. Even on clearance. I'm glad it worked out for you though!!!!

I just stocked up on hamster food for my other pets because the stuff I like (Made in USA, no food coloring, etc) will be changing the formula or something...So 6 pounds of food for $6. Better than the almost $4 I was paying for 2 pounds!!

I love clearance... And all the calendars are 50% off now.. but we don't have hedgie ones...

sweetergrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nicely score on the sale! Is it this one? Looks like a re-branded Comfort Wheel, with all the joys of its flimsy construction.

I totally use vegetable oil to re-lubricate my little guy's Comfort Wheel periodically. I mostly use whatever is the cheapest oil I have at home -- corn, olive, whatever! He hasn't eaten it yet, but I agree about the potential-annointing & exploring not being worth it.

Sometimes it can also rattle quite a bit on its stand, which you can fix by wrapping a scrunchie/hairtie around it. You can also help with the stability by using hooks & zipties to affix it to a cage wall.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in