Not Using New Bucket Wheel - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bean.the.hedgie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2020, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not Using New Bucket Wheel

Hi! So, I finally decided to retire the 12” comfort wheel that my hedgie has been using for the past 3 years because it had started to get some nasty rust at the bottom. I decided a bucket wheel would be a better investment than getting another squeaky comfort wheel, but Bean absolutely refuses to use it! It’s been in his cage for about a week, and every night he trashes the rest of his cage instead of using his new wheel. I’ve tried placing him on the wheel to familiarize him with it and angling the wheel up a bit, but he simply won’t use it. I don’t know if he prefers the bigger diameter of the comfort wheel or maybe the ridges on the inside of the comfort wheel, but I’m a bit torn on what to do.... does anyone have any advice? I’d love for him to get comfortable with the bucket wheel since I spent $30 on it, but I might just need to get another comfort wheel 😕
bean.the.hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2020, 02:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

bump? 🙂
Old 11-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

What a silly little man! Have you tried bribery? Put some mealworms in the wheel and let him eat them. Right when he finishes, hold one in front of his nose so he has to move forward to get it. Hopefully this will make him move the wheel. After a few attempts he should get it figured out and start hopping up to run on his own.

If not, a trail of something he likes around the inside of the wheel may work. Wet cat food juice maybe? My previous boy would do it for hornworm juice. Make him do the old lick-and-walk!

Hopefully one of those works. If not, check back in and I'll think of other options in the meantime just in case!

Old 11-30-2020, 12:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnickHog View Post
What a silly little man! Have you tried bribery? Put some mealworms in the wheel and let him eat them. Right when he finishes, hold one in front of his nose so he has to move forward to get it. Hopefully this will make him move the wheel. After a few attempts he should get it figured out and start hopping up to run on his own.

If not, a trail of something he likes around the inside of the wheel may work. Wet cat food juice maybe? My previous boy would do it for hornworm juice. Make him do the old lick-and-walk!

Hopefully one of those works. If not, check back in and I'll think of other options in the meantime just in case!
Thank you for the response! And yes, he certainly is silly lol!

Unfortunately he's not super food-motivated - every time I've tried to give him mealworms he turns his nose up at them (shocking, I know!). I'll try to rub some of his wet cat food on there tonight to see if that helps.

Last night I finally caved and trapped him in the wheel for a few minutes to see if that would do the trick, but I still don't think he ran on it last night. He got going a little bit when he was trapped, but the wheel doesn't seem to spin super easily. I may try to loosen the bearings a bit tonight, but I'm also worried that the smaller diameter is a problem. Bean is kind of on the bigger side - his back didn't look arched or anything on the bucket wheel, but I think he liked having the full 12" of the comfort wheel.

If loosening the wheel a bit and rubbing on the wet food doesn't help I may just cave and get another comfort wheel He's a little on the older side, so I just want to do what'll make him happy/comfortable... and I'm sure I'll be able to find another use for the bucket wheel eventually ; )
FinnickHog likes this.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ah yeah the size could definitely be the issue. If he's an older hog set in his ways he probably just wants his other wheel back xD.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnickHog View Post
Ah yeah the size could definitely be the issue. If he's an older hog set in his ways he probably just wants his other wheel back xD.
That sounds about right haha. I’ll try to stop by petsmart today or tomorrow to grab another comfort wheel : )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in