Silent wheel for larger hedgehog? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horserider1130 View Post
I have a 12 inch Silent Runner wheel for my large hedgie and it works wonderfully. They even come in wide and regular options and are incredibly quiet. I cant recommend this wheel enough, it's easy to clean as the track comes apart from the base to be easily rinsed and they also have options for a nail filing track or a track with holes in it if your hedgie is a running bathroom user. my only negative, which i think is probably the case with most wheels, is if your hedgie has long nails youll hear them ticking on the running surface but the wheel itself makes no noise. highly recommend!
I’ve used silent spinners as long as I’ve had hedgehogs without any problems and with favorable results. I don’t recommend specific brands, however, so if anyone is ever looking for wheels it’s wise to do your own research as well to firmly justify a product to yourself as the animal’s caretaker. To say you should*never* do something is a stretch when it comes to subjective topics such as the use of a wheel. Determine what is best for your individual hedgehog and keep to it 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Emc

The Silent Runner and the Silent Spinner are two different wheel brands, but both pose a possible risk to your hedgehogs heath and when such a risk is known, I think the only responsible thing to do is to inform others - just because some may be comfortable with the risk, does not mean everyone is especially when it comes to something that is so easily avoidable.

The issue with the Silent Runner in particular is that the piece connecting the track together often isnt long enough, leaving a gap where nails and toes (and possible smaller hog paws) can get trapped when the animal is running. Leading to torn nails if you're lucky, or a bad break if you're not.

Using a silent runner (or spinner, for that matter) when there are known risks associated with these wheels is taking a chance. Whether you choose to take that chance is up to you, but you must acknowledge it is a risk you are taking - and if you do happen to be one of the folk who do run into problems with these wheels, its your hedgehog who will ultimately be the one paying the price for your risk taking.
Askeptosaurus likes this.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2019, 12:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yep!

Old 07-30-2019, 10:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

If anyone is interested, I ended up deciding to build my own bucket wheel from the link Mecki shared as well as fix up his Carolina Storm Wheel as a spare/extra.
Mecki likes this.
Dean.the.hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 12:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

Good choice; you can’t go wrong with those!
Old 07-31-2019, 10:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator

I see you already made one, good choice. They aren't hard to make if you have the tools.

I use 7.9 gallon fermentation buckets purchased from my local home brew store. Bottom of the bucket is larger than the 5 gallon buckets that are commonly used. Plus the other bonus to them is that the plastic tends to be thicker than standard 5 gallon buckets and they are food safe. Cost a lot more than a cheap 5 gallon, but for as long as they will last, its not bad. I've had 800+ gram hedgehogs on these with no issue.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 01:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

@Dean the Hedgie, please do be sure to post a photo of the bucket wheel you made!

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in