New Wheel for Older Hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aj.t

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2019, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Wheel for Older Hedgie

My hedgehog is getting older (she'll be four in a few days!) and has had some health issues (some sort of stroke-like thing near Thanksgiving and a leg injury in March) so she's less agile than she used to be, and simultaneously the wheel we got her 4 years ago seems to be sagging so it tilts down and threatens to spill her off. She doesn't seem to mind that part (although she hugs the back when she runs) but she seems like she might be having issues getting up onto the wheel. Are there shorter or more stable wheels that she might have an easier time with? I'm worried she'll re-injure her leg getting up on the wheel and falling.
darlingpants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019, 03:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

What wheel does she have already ?? It will make it easier to suggest new options, and not suggest the wheel that you already have.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2019, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

We got it from a pet store so I'm not positive but it looks exactly like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Comfor...s%2C152&sr=8-4

I ended up buying a Carolina Storm Wheel because it said it had an adjustable height so we'll see if that works, but if people have other suggestions I'd love to hear them for backup!

Old 05-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

You can adjust hight and tilt with the Caroline storm wheel. Most people recommend it as a wheel anyway. Defiantly see how she gets on with it, I dont think you'll have the same problem with it though
Old 05-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got the new wheel, but she won't run on it. If I put her on it she gets off as soon as possible. Any tips other than time?
Her cage has the old wheel (because she will run on it), and I've put the new wheel in a bigger pen, but she just runs around the perimeter of the pen instead of on the wheel.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Try leaving some treats on the new wheel. It may be the new wheel smell. Try washing in vinager water and rinsing and see if that helps.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 02:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

I would wash the wheel with whatever you use on the current wheel, so that it then smells the same.

I would then put the new wheel in the cage for a week, using the old one in the pen so that if she's still not running it, you know she's still getting some exercise. But sometimes they are more likely to try a new wheel when its left in the cage with them.

Then while its in the cage, leave her favourite treats on it, to encourage her over to the wheel. If you put them so they aren't just on the edge its more likely she will need to get on the wheel a little.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just be sure to give it some time too. Any change can take some time to get used to, so don’t feel like one day of not using it is a bad thing!
LarryT likes this.
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in