Carolina Storm Bucket? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperthahedgie View Post
Thanks for the info still trying to figure out what's best. I've had pepper for almost a year now.
The bucket wheel is definitely easy to clean. The surfaces are smooth so I just use a baby wipe each morning to wipe it out -- easy peasy.
pepperthahedgie likes this.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 08:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ria

Some people who have caroine storm wheels still need to spray the wheel with water to get it off easier. I think mainly depends on when your washing them too. Because in the morning it wont be fully dried or struck to wheel as much where as later in the day it's always gonna take a little more effort ridges or not cause its dried and stuck firmly to the wheel - I've used both types of wheel, and done it at both morning and later in the day with both. It also depends how much they poo on the wheel.
Ridges are easy to sort, I only get right into the ridges every other day too

The ridges are easy to come
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

I’m also EXTREMELY lazy and that’s why I have three wheels so I can just switch them out and soak them in vinegar all together😂
Bluegirl and pepperthahedgie like this.
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thank you guys for all of the useful information. I typically wash mine by soaking it in hot water, and I guess that's why it's such a hassle. I am still looking for a better wheel anyway, but in the mean time I'll stick with the information you've given to me! I don't have any friends with hedgehogs and Instagram can only get you so far, so I really appreciate this website. It just sucks being so busy, I may purchase another wheel so I can switch out like someone said. Sounds smart!
pepperthahedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 03:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj.t View Post
I’m also EXTREMELY lazy and that’s why I have three wheels so I can just switch them out and soak them in vinegar all together😂
I totally would do that but then I'd forget and run out so its better for me to take the time cleaning it that day😂
Old 04-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Emc

I use a bucket wheel from TicTac wheels, they ship internationally but they'd probably work out even more expensive than the Carolina bucket wheels to ship to Canada... however, they do ship to your door, if that's a requirement.

I think buying another wheel is pretty pointless haha, and... like, super lazy lol. I soak my hedgehogs wheel in scolding water every 2nd-3rd day (because germaphobe), and it takes me like 5 minutes, tops, to fully clean and dry. I wash it in the bath, and scrub it with a sponge; easy-peasy. Yes, bucket wheels are smooth-surfaced but wiping them down - even daily - doesn't always suffice. I still recommend soaking them and giving them a proper scrub, ideally twice but at least once a week because wiping alone doesn't always get off everything... especially dried, thin track marks.

Just don't let it cake up (which you shouldn't do anyway, for obvious reasons haha) and clean it 2-3 times a week with hot water and/or cleaner if you want, and it really shouldn't take you more than 5 mins to clean. I spray my wheel with a pet-safe disinfectant (you can use a pet-safe soap, whatever works for you!) before rinsing, and I find that helps with anything that's dried in. I'm also a full-time student, but i'm sure everyone has at least 5-10 minutes every 2-3 days or so to clean a wheel. At least I would hope they did, seeing as they chose a hedgehog as a pet, who require regular maintenance to keep their enclosure hygienic.

Last edited by Emc; 04-18-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ria

wipe mine daily with baby wipes and water, and then twice a week wash it in the shower properly along with the litter tray. Sometimes I only get a chance once a week but I always try to do it twice a week - Also being a full time student plus I have to help my mum care for my brothers and do other bits around the the house for my mum.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emc View Post
I use a bucket wheel from TicTac wheels, they ship internationally but they'd probably work out even more expensive than the Carolina bucket wheels to ship to Canada... however, they do ship to your door, if that's a requirement.

I think buying another wheel is pretty pointless haha, and... like, super lazy lol. I soak my hedgehogs wheel in scolding water every 2nd-3rd day (because germaphobe), and it takes me like 5 minutes, tops, to fully clean and dry. I wash it in the bath, and scrub it with a sponge; easy-peasy. Yes, bucket wheels are smooth-surfaced but wiping them down - even daily - doesn't always suffice. I still recommend soaking them and giving them a proper scrub, ideally twice but at least once a week because wiping alone doesn't always get off everything... especially dried, thin track marks.

Just don't let it cake up (which you shouldn't do anyway, for obvious reasons haha) and clean it 2-3 times a week with hot water and/or cleaner if you want, and it really shouldn't take you more than 5 mins to clean. I spray my wheel with a pet-safe disinfectant (you can use a pet-safe soap, whatever works for you!) before rinsing, and I find that helps with anything that's dried in. I'm also a full-time student, but i'm sure everyone has at least 5-10 minutes every 2-3 days or so to clean a wheel. At least I would hope they did, seeing as they chose a hedgehog as a pet, who require regular maintenance to keep their enclosure hygienic.
thank you for the info. I clean mine usually 2/week, and now more since school is done. I am also super hygienic so when it starts to smell I do a mega clean. You're right, it doesn't take long at all to clean. I just have a few things I don't particularly like about the wheel itself, but all just personal preference. Thanks guys again for all the help
Old 04-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Also, I wasn't implying that I wasn't going to soak the smooth bucket wheel, sorry if that's what may have come across as. I would still clean it like any other wheel, just the lack of ridges may help, especially since there have been upsetting stories with hedgies and the wheel I have.
Seriously though, thank you everyone for your tips I try my hardest to give Pepper a good life, and this helps immensely
Mecki likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in