Savic Rolly Rodent Exercise Wheel? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By akitka

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Savic Rolly Rodent Exercise Wheel?

I have this wheel for my hedgehog, but I haven't ever seen it mentioned anywhere else on the forum, or in the product reviews section for wheels. Wondering if anyone else has one or if there's a reason it's not mentioned as an option?

It seems most similar to the comfort wheel, but my hedge seems to greatly prefer it to a bucket wheel. In his bucket wheel he was constantly sliding as soon as it got the littlest bit of poop in it, and i found i had to get up about 20 times a night to wipe it down for him. It seemed like an absolute hazard, I dont see how this doesn't happen to others. I've heard the little notches on a wheel can be rough on their feet but so far it doesn't seem to be doing any damage, and he runs noticeably more on this wheel. Anyways wondering if anyone else has found the 'Savic Rolly Rodent Exercise Wheel' to be a good solution. I found it at Pets at Home UK and it's 28CM

P.S. The image sort of makes it look like there might be holes in the back of it. They aren't holes, just bubble pattern shapes imprinted on the plastic. There are no holes in it anywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 10.19.05 PM.jpg (101.6 KB, 21 views)
ven likes this.
akitka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2019, 02:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
ven

i am thinking of buying this wheel for my hedgehog ! but not sure if the wheel is big enough for her
ven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 03:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

It should be big enough can't really see reason why it wouldn't.

I use it at the moment I've had it for all Holly's life, the only thing I found is that where Holly got older and is a heavier hedgehog it makes the wheel dip a lotttt more than it should and now her back leg slips off the wheel.
So now I found the instructions to follow I'm making her one which costs me under 20 rather than getting a tic tac or caroline storm for around 30.
This wheel I'm making is also a bit bigger than the savic one.

It also depends on the type of runner the hedgehog is, if they run a lot without breaks the ridges have more chance to hurt their feet than the flat surface does. Though from watching Holly and others on their wheels most hedgehogs even really active ones stop and take a short break from running so its fine.

The ridges can make it a bit harder to clean, though I haven't found it that hard, I spray the surface with a shower hose and do a good cleanat least once week though most times I get to it twice a week. And just wipe it daily with baby wipes.

It is a good wheel, and if Holly wasn't a heavier hedgehog I'd keep using it now, but once they get to 500g the wheel seems to struggle with the weight.

Its really up to you if you decide to get it. Just giving a few insights from having used it myself.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in