Tired of crappy wheel! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Yukidama's mama
  • 3 Post By lfedosova23
  • 1 Post By autumnfox

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Tired of crappy wheel!

Hello everyone!

I am becoming very frustrated with our current wheel situation. I have tried several different products and I just can't seem to find a permeant solution for our 1 year old hedge, Popeye. Currently, I am using You & Me Exercise saucer in large. It's working so far, but only lasts for a a month/few months until it breaks and needs replacement. Other wheels I've tried have either hurt his delicate paws, or make too much noise in the middle of the night.

We have Popeye in a big 44 gallon storage container (no worries, he has plenty of air holes!), so I am unable to use any cage attachments. The container is about 14" in height, and 55" in length.

I'm sure this question gets asked plenty, but I would greatly appreciate some feedback! Price isn't an issue....I'm spending a good $15 every month or two for his current wheel, so I would love a stable solution!

Also, is it safe to clean a dirty wheel in the bathtub? I am currently wiping the wheel everyday, then taking it to my parents one a week to hose down since we live on the 3rd floor of an apartment. When we got Popeye we lived in a condo with a big lawn and hose connection, but alas, we no longer have that luxury. I'd love to cut down on the amount of paper towels I'm using.

Thank you in advance.
lfedosova23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Have you tried a Carolina storm bucket wheel yet? Those are highly recommended, they're hand made specifically for hedgehogs. The seller is based in the States too so you shouldnt have a problem ordering one.

I just use wet paper towels, it takes about 3-4 to clean my boys wheel every morning and once a week I'll use a water and vinegar solution spray on it and wipe it down. I stopped cleaning mine with the shower hose as soap was deteriorating the protective seal on my Carolina storm wheel ><. Otherwise I highly recommend them, their silent and my boy loves his! ^^
Quillys_Mom_Punky likes this.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2018, 02:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Yuki, how did you get ahold of the storm bucket there in Japan? I've been trying to get my hands on one but with no luck.
autumnfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 04:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

@autumnfox ~ I just replied to your PM
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2018, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi Yukidama,

Thank you so much for the recommendation! I heard about these wheels before but never bought one due to our hedgehogs small cage. We've upgraded his living space since then, and I must have forgotten all about the California Storm bucket.

As soon as I saw your post, I went online and bought one.... it's perfect! My days of worrying are over . I'm glad I remembered to come back and thank you. I will update if I have any issues with this wheel in the future...but, lets hope not!
lfedosova23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2018, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Haha, I also bought one too, Yuki XD Sent it to my parents and they are currently in the process of sending it to me. Can't wait for it!
Yukidama's mama likes this.

autumnfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
clean wheel, poop, wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in