NEW CAROLINA STORM WHEEL - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NEW CAROLINA STORM WHEEL

My new carolina storm wheel arrived on Tuesday, (Thanks Larry, I love it, Skittles on the other hand...) I put it in her cage that night, so she has had a few days to explore it at night. Last night I put a bit of carrot on it since it is her most favorite treat and she climbed reluctantly through her litter box and was able to eat it with only two feet on. I have tried putting her on it but she was squeaking and freaking out! I have it on the highest setting so that the litter box can stick out more, I'm pretty sure she will have no problem getting on it (she's a big girl at 600 grams). I also keep picking up her poop and putting it in the litter box so hopefully she'll get the hint that is where she should do her business. I know she hates change and is very stubborn (I can't say anything bad about that cause I'm the same way LOL!) and I'm sure she will come around. Anyone have any ideas to help her come to accept this change? She had a flying saucer wheel before
Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: NEW CAROLINA STORM WHEEL

Sounds like my Emma and the bath situation we went through. I would just keep trying to introduce it to her with her favourite treat ( mealies helped re-introduce Emma to the bath again ) and she will hopefully eventually get the hang out it. Goodluck!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Maybe you could try removing the pan and putting the wheel on a lower setting and what happens, if she takes to it wait a few days and raise the height setting and a few days later try putting the pan back. Hope she gets use to it soon.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply, figured I'd add a couple photos just because!
[attachment=2:2omxqukc]cutie.jpg[/attachment:2omxqukc]
[attachment=1:2omxqukc]stuff 017.JPG[/attachment:2omxqukc]
[attachment=0:2omxqukc]hi!.jpg[/attachment:2omxqukc]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cutie.jpg (35.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg stuff 017.JPG (30.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg hi!.jpg (44.6 KB, 70 views)
Old 08-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I thought about just introducing one thing at a time but decided against it because it will be more change. Please correct me if my logic is wrong, this is my first hedgehog. What is a typical adjustment period for those of you that have ones that hate change? For all I know she isn't doing bad at adjusting
Old 08-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just figured I'd post an update, she still isn't using her wheel. I put treats on it and she will climb on to eat them no problem (even put it part way up the side so she has to make the wheel turn to get the treat). She will even climb on without treats just to check it out. She loves squishing her way underneath of it and I kind of believe that that is what she thinks it for. I have put her on it, put a shoe box in front and held it in place so that she would walk to get to the edge of the box so she can get out (obviously she can't get to the edge of the box but she thinks she can). So she is walking and "using" the wheel but it still hasn't clicked. Or else she is making no mess when she is using it just to trick me into thinking she isn't using it
Any ideas?
Old 08-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure I've seen people suggest putting a little flour on it, then you should be able to tell if she is using it because it would be covered in flour foot prints.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

I got mine yesterday as well. I tried putting durian on the wheel but he ended up going underneath. Im no suprised thhough since he loves to burrow especially with my old socks.

This morning i found him lying still on the wheel and found a few smeared poo on it. I guess he's still getting used to it.

His typical exercise is usually compromise of tryin to climb out of his cage and putting him in the rolling ball and let him roam arnd the house inside the ball.
laurentj23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

I still have no idea if mine is using her wheel, however she is the laziest hedgehog ever. Given any opportunity to sleep she will, take that opportunity to sleep away (dig box full of fleece taken out of playpen) and she will play for hours with her toilet paper roll. (I really regret not getting the CSW wheel as her first wheel, I think all the wheel problms I have been having with my stubborn girl could have been avoided). Those run arond balls aren't reccomended because their nails/ feet can get stuck in the slits and they are trapped in with their poop and pee. Also you might want to put chloroplast or something on the walls so he can't try to climb out. It does sound like he is adjusting to his wheel which is great!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles
I still have no idea if mine is using her wheel, however she is the laziest hedgehog ever. Given any opportunity to sleep she will, take that opportunity to sleep away (dig box full of fleece taken out of playpen) and she will play for hours with her toilet paper roll. (I really regret not getting the CSW wheel as her first wheel, I think all the wheel problms I have been having with my stubborn girl could have been avoided). Those run arond balls aren't reccomended because their nails/ feet can get stuck in the slits and they are trapped in with their poop and pee. Also you might want to put chloroplast or something on the walls so he can't try to climb out. It does sound like he is adjusting to his wheel which is great!

He cant climb out. He attempted to but he cant. He think he was successful after climbing out 3 times but not anymore!

I have 12 inches on each side of the wall!
laurentj23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in