does anyone sell wheels? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default does anyone sell wheels?

I have a wheel that i inherited when i bought our hedgehog but after reading, i realized that it might not be safe for her as it has crossbars. I watched her run on it (before we knew she was pregnant) and she seemed to be comfortable getting on and off, but i am looking around for a new wheel. I read the section on good and bad wheels and at the pet stores near me, they only sell the "bad wheels".
I tried ordering a Cake Walk Supreme, but i need 2 of them, because our hedgehog had a surprise baby! He is now 5 weeks old and so it is almost time for him to have a wheel too.
I could only order one wheel at a time on the Cake Walk Supreme website, and they said it would take 2-3 weeks...for a shipping and handling cost of $20 each wheel!
I heard that some breeders make and sell bucket wheels.
If anyone out there knows where i can get 2 safe wheels for my 2 hedgehogs, i would really appreciate some information.
Thanks,
Jess
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dorasdaddy
Default Re: does anyone sell wheels?

As an owner of a CWS i can tell you that they are well worth the money. They are comparable in price and shiping to most other bucket wheels sold online......but the workmanship and materials used in the CWS are far superior to anything you will find on the market. The only thing i could tell you is to look in to a flying saucer or maybe a comfort wheel from petco.com or petsmart.com....but if you are going to buy a bucket wheel the CWS is the only way to go.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am just worried about the 2-3 week waiting period.
I don't know if i want to try a flying saucer because it says it takes time to get used to. My mother hedgehog has already been off a wheel for 5 weeks due to her giving birth, so i want to get her back on one as soon as the baby is weaned...which could be any day now.
I will take a look at Petsmart or Petco.
Thanks for your advice!
Jess
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

PM Reaper and see if he might be able to get them to you quicker or save a little on shipping together. Reaper is a nice guy. *wink*
Old 04-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I can ship one in a day or so right at this time. So it would take a week or so depending on where you live.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

i live in Canada on the other side of the country, and it only took 5 days.
azyrios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

I also have some good things to say about the Cake Walk Supremes. I got one a few weeks ago for Inky (in addition to his perfectly fine bucket and flying saucer wheels) and have to say this wheel is the easiest to clean, the most silent ever. Inky seems to like running on it more than the others, and it's just overall a fantastic wheel. Reaper uses the highest quality parts, so it is built to last (and look good!). If you are buying any custom made wheel, I would recommend this one at the top of the list.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

First, kudos to Reaper for producing great wheels! Now we can point new hedgie guardians to a place where they can purchase a high-quality wheel for their hedgies.

I'm a big bucket wheel fan using nothing but BWs in the past 3 years with absolutely no noise, smell, urine spill, or cleaning issues - I didn't realize how fortunate we have been until I find many people having problems with their wheels.

I'd like to point out that the CWS is a variation of bucket wheels and there are more traditional ones available on the market. My quick search turned up a few results where you can buy it [see the links at the bottom]. However, I have no idea how well those wheels are built. Also, they all seem to be priced at $30 + shipping. So Reaper's CWS is only $10 more. For that, it may be wise to pay the difference and get something you know it's really well-made and easy-to-clean.

Failing to get a good BW, I'd say a 12" Giant Comfort Wheel may not be a bad alternative as it's relatively "safe" in comparison to a mesh wheel or Silent Spinner with small holes that can catch hedgies' little toes or a wheel with a crossbar or small openings such as a Wodent Wheel. But if you opt for a GCW, you will have to engineer a noise-reduction device, expect to do a lot of scrubbing to get poop off the tread, and be aware that the plastic pin may be worn out quickly. So in the long run, it may be neither a wise or economical alternative.

As I said before, I'm not 100% sure about a Flying Saucer Wheel. It just doesn't look ergonomically-sound for hedgehogs to me as their feet cross and spine crooked as they run on it (I forgot the term but hedgehogs use the entire soles of their feet when running and it makes a difference whether they run a straight line or not).

If you're handy and can't get a good bucket wheel, I highly recommend to go with a DIY bucket wheel. There's a very good step-by-step instruction [click HERE for the page].

A safe, quiet, and easy-to-clean exercise wheel is essential for both your hedgehog's health and your own sanity as you are the one who clean it everyday. Choose your wheel wisely. Paying extra up-front may save you a lot of headaches and money in the long run.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

The more traditional bucket wheels are why I built the Cake Walk Supreme. Bucket wheels tend to get dirty easy, are not round or don't stay round, can have sharp edges, aren't as big in diameter, and are difficult to clean without getting the bearing wet. When I started as a hedgehog owner I built several bucket wheels. I found them to be less than they could be. Urine and poo deteriorate most metals quickly. Most skate bearings use toxic lubricants and use it sparingly due to skate people whether skate boards, inlines, rollers etc. want speed. And most skate bearings are not waterproof until you get into the VERY high dollar ceramics. And the bases do nothing to catch the feces and urine run off. So I looked at every part of a bucket wheel. Decided how I could incorporate stainless steel for the hardware. Found that a cake cover was bigger, rounder, safer, and poo didn't stick but little feet do. I then acquired some really good stainless steel, nylon cage, ABEC-7, ball bearings. Then I decided to look at lubricants. I have experience designing and maintaining FDA approved production facilities and back in the day there was NO such thing as FDA approved food grade grease. We had to use Vaseline which is a HORRID lubricant. Or encase the entire bearing system in several barriers so the grease could in NO WAY come into contact with the product even under massive failures. So as I was looking at the newest lubricants made I came upon a company who makes lubricants (oils, greases, sprays, and gels) for NASA and the space shuttle. Lo and behold they claimed to have the first ever FDA approved grade grease. I was skeptical. I knew a little bit about lubricants and in my day this stuff was fiction. So I called them up. They claimed to have exactly what I wanted. I was skeptical. So I actually drove to their production facility to see for myself this "mythical dragon" they said they produced. I learned a lot and found out what this stuff is made from and no one before had ever tried this stuff to make lubricants. And one of the side effects was not only was it a wonderful lubricant..... it was also completely non toxic. It was odorless, tasteless and could even be eaten. It was also almost completely water resistant. So once I explained my use for this stuff amid a few snickers they informed me we also have a version of this not on our website that is EXTREMELY water resistant. They dug around in the warehouse and found my dragon. So now I could offer a product which if used as intended should practically LAST FOREVER and do it safer than anything like it before.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper
Bucket wheels tend to get dirty easy, are not round or don't stay round, can have sharp edges, aren't as big in diameter, and are difficult to clean without getting the bearing wet.... Urine and poo deteriorate most metals quickly...
Reaper, I'm glad to know the parts of your CWS are carefully chosen to make the wheel even more safe for hedgehogs and long-lasting for their human slaves!

Just for the record, I haven't experienced any of those issues you mentioned about the more traditional bucket wheels. In fact, I found our traditional bucket wheels holding up amazingly well after 3+ years of daily use - still perfectly round, no dirt or stain, durable, easy-to-clean (no scrubbing), and free of sharp edges. The metal parts are completely free of rust as well. Oh, we never had noise problems either (didn't know about the toxic lubricant though. Hmmm... I probably should look into it to make sure it's not harming our hedgie in any way).

I wonder, like most other thing, the product quality depends on who makes it and what material is used? Perhaps it also depends on the hedgie who runs on it? I probably would opt for your CWS if I were to buy a wheel today knowing how safe it is, but I'm perfectly happy with all three BWs we have been using.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in