Hedgehog not running on wheel - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog not running on wheel

My name is Vanessa. I have a baby hedgehog, his name is Mr.Ash. I got him at 7 weeks old, he is now about 11 weeks old. When Ash was about 9 weeks old he began using his Carolina Storm wheel every other night. This week for about 6 days now he has not run on his wheel at all. I handle him daily, he is warm (temp. in apartment around 75-78 at all times), he seems to be activate because he moves around his Yesterdays News pellets and he has a few toilet paper rolls (that I cut open so he cannot get stuck) the cage is about 40x24 so it is big and he has alot of room to move around. In the morning the toilet paper rolls end up in his home, along with little pieces of anti-pill fleece he has in his cage and in his igloo, so I know that he moves around at night. I put some food on his wheel to see if he would run in it, but in the morning the food has not been moved. He is eating daily, poo seems fine and he always has water. When ever I hold him he tends to bury himself between my arm and tummy and fall asleep quickly. Currently he is on a combination of wellsness core, blue buffalo and evo cat food. I give him fresh meal worms sometimes,but he does not eat them. I have also given him some caterpillars from exoticnutrition.com (not freeze dried just dead and juicy) and he wont eat those either. I know he is quilling because I find little quills on me when I hold him, but he seems to just be lazy not upset or anything. Any tips on anything I can do to get him to run in his wheel? Should I do something special for him while he is quilling? I am new to being a hedgehog mom. Any tips would help, thanks !
Vane/Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: Hedgehog not running on wheel

How do the nails look, are they in need of a trim? Is the room good and dark at night time? Is the wheel spinning freely?
Sometimes the tilt/angle of the wheel can be too steep a grade for a hog to run comfortably, if this is the case you can try adjusting the tilt/angle by holding the feet of the stand with one hand and pushing the top arm piece toward or away from you with the other hand till you get the desired tilt/angle.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgehog not running on wheel

I untilted the wheel and placed him on it for a little bit. He ran off and went back to sleep. His front nails are short but his back nails are a little longer. The breeder mentioned to me that she would cut them for us. So maybe its the nails? He just seems so peaceful. He still didnt run in his wheel. When he would run in his wheel he would get poo o his feet so i would clean his toes with a wet qtip.. is it possible i tramatized him by always cleaning his toe after running in the wheel?
Vane/Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in