I'm having problems with my bucket wheel :( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I'm having problems with my bucket wheel :(

I just got my Carolina Storm Bucket wheel about two weeks ago, and I was SO EXCITED to finally have it. Tiki absolutely loves it. He wheels ferociously all night long. So ferociously, in fact, that a few days ago he wheeled so hard that all of the nuts and washers and what not began to come loose. I noticed this when the wheel started to make A LOT of noise. I simply tightened everything and thought that the problem was fixed. Well, the wheel was still making a lot of noise. It started wiggling so much that the wheel would hit the PVC stand as Tiki wheeled.

I thought I fixed it yesterday when I I finally tightened everything just right so that the wheel stopped wiggling up and down. And for a while last night the wheel was just as silent as it was the first week I had it. But in the middle of the night I woke up to the wheel making more noise than ever. I tried to fix it, but I couldn't. Tiki kept wheeling away, and I just tried to fall back asleep, until I heard one of the nuts fall of the wheel. When I got up to look, the entire wheel had come off the stand.

I'm just starting to get frustrated because I know this is a quality wheel, and Tiki LOVES it. He uses it about 10 times more then he used his comfort wheel. But I can't keep it in his cage if the nuts and bolts and what not are going to fall off.

Has anyone had this problem with theirs? How did you fix it? I'm hoping Larry will see this post too. Larry, do you know what's wrong or what I can do to fix it and keep it from happening again? Please, I just want Tiki to be able to use his most favorite wheel.

Thanks in advanced everyone!

ashleybgashley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: I'm having problems with my bucket wheel :(

You can always PM me here or email me with problems at [email protected]
If the wheel is bouncing around try securing it to the cage with zipties or something of that sort. When you tighten the bolts make sure the small nut that sits against the rollerblade is hand tite, you can use some non-toxic nail polish around the bolt/nut area to help it hold, works fairly well and is non toxic unlike Lock-tite. Lock-tite works very good I just worry the smell mite cause problems unless it's cured/aired out.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

I didn't even think about PMing you. I've been a little sleep deprived between classes starting for the semester, and the wheel waking me up at 3am, haha. Thanks so much, I'll try all of that

ashleybgashley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleybgashley
I didn't even think about PMing you. I've been a little sleep deprived between classes starting for the semester, and the wheel waking me up at 3am, haha. Thanks so much, I'll try all of that
It's ok, I understand it's much eaiser to just make a post. Hopefully that helps and you can get some good deep sleep.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Are you sure it's set up correctly? Take the wheel, hold it by the stud, tighten the nut on hand-tight while holding the stud. Put a washer on it, put the stud through a hole on the PVC, put a washer on the other side, then the wing-nut. Make sure it's all the way pushed through before tightening it down fully.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat
Are you sure it's set up correctly? Take the wheel, hold it by the stud, tighten the nut on hand-tight while holding the stud. Put a washer on it, put the stud through a hole on the PVC, put a washer on the other side, then the wing-nut.
Good idea! Here's what I usually tell people when putting it together.
Take the long carriage bolt and run it through the inside of the wheel......now take the small nut and run it down the bolt till it's tite against the rollerblade wheel........now add a washer..........next the pvc arm peice in desired hole........now another washer..............finish with the wingnut.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

What type of cage do you have? If a plastic bottomed cage, some of them are no a totally flat surface so the wheel wobbles around. Sometimes setting the wheel underneath the liner will help, other times it's best on top.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

If it's a constant noise it could be that the pipes just need to be tightened up a little or that the bottom isn't perfectly flat. I ran into that a few times for the first couple of days I had mine. I've also found that the angle of the bucket can make a difference as well; mine is angled back just a tiny bit.

Mine (well, Norman's) started to make some annoying noises about 2 weeks ago. I spent a week tightening and adjusting everything every night before I finally found the source of the noise. Turns out that over the year, some grime got between the rollerblade wheel and the lid that I mistook for glue (or maybe it was glue that was finally letting go?); every now and then, Norman's running would cause enough downward force for the two to separate ever so slightly and make knocking sound. I managed to permanently solve the problem by taking the whole thing apart and putting a fleece washer between the rollerblade wheel and the lid. Just take a piece of fleece, cut out a hole in the middle to make sure the bearing isn't covered (otherwise it causes a lot of friction and makes the wheel almost impossible to turn), place it on the back of the bucket, punch holes for the zip ties in the fleece with a knife, and re-assemble. It doesn't need to be perfectly round, just large enough to cover the area where the wheel touches. Mine is an ugly crooked-square-shape, but it's back to being whisper quiet.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebular
Turns out that over the year, some grime got between the rollerblade wheel and the lid that I mistook for glue (or maybe it was glue that was finally letting go?);
Nothing is glued, it must have been buildup. When I first started a few years ago I did glue the PVC and fittings together but I stopped doing that cause it took forever to get rid of that glue smell, also if the inside of the pipe needed cleaning/draining was nothing you could do since it could not be taken apart.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebular
If it's a constant noise it could be that the pipes just need to be tightened up a little or that the bottom isn't perfectly flat. I ran into that a few times for the first couple of days I had mine. I've also found that the angle of the bucket can make a difference as well; mine is angled back just a tiny bit.
I have a couple of wheels that are now over 12 years old, there have been many times over the years where the PVC pipe have started to loosen. I have a nice rubber mallet that I use to give them a solid whack, and they go back into the elbows and don't wiggle for a good long time.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in