Hedgehog Central banner

Would you reccomend the Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel?

10K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  shetlandlover 
#1 ·
Spiff's wheel has been more or less deteriorating for the last couple months, and its gotten to the point where I literally had to duct tape it together. Needless to say, I need to get a new wheel.
I've heard good things about the Carolina Storm Wheel, but as a working student, $30 plus shipping is a bit of an investment for me. For those of you who have purchased a Carolina Storm Wheel in the past, would you recommend it, and why? What are the drawbacks? And would you recommend just the Storm Bucket Wheel?

#2 ·
#5 ·
The CSBW is definitely worth buying. I live in a small college apartment and the only place I have room for Felix's cage is my bedroom, so it was really important for me to find a quiet wheel. I've had hamsters in the past and their wheels were always so noisy. The CSBW is absolutely SILENT. I occasionally hear Felix's feet going a mile a minute, but that's it. The wheel is also super easy to clean. I wipe it down every night before Felix wakes up with a few paper towels covered in a little 1/2 water 1/2 vinegar mixture. Also, Larry is really great with quick shipping. I got my wheel just a few days after ordering.

#9 ·
they are great i actually recently got two and have no issues with them and as metioned larry is great at shipping quickly. if you do want to diy you can get cheap stuff as mentioned at lowes or home depot or whatever and can get cheap rollerblade wheels at a thrift store just get used rollerblades (they aren't usually more than $5 and some of them are brand new wheels). what gets expensive with diy is buying the tools the first time if you don't have them to make it, then it can add up pretty quickly, but they aren't hard too make if you are crafty and not lazy like me :)

#10 ·
Paul said:
They're kinda expensive considering how simple they are and the materials. You could make one yourself for maybe $15 at Lowes.
Yep and I almost make $10 bucks off one. After the time it takes to make it, ship it, gather supplies, etc I think that's a fair price for the product/service offered. Cutting a bucket down to size and smoothing it down is not as easy as it sounds, esp. if you don't have the right tools. It's very easy to mess up and ruin a bucket or two.

#13 ·
*I realize this thread is about the CSBW, but I am only assuming by my experience with the CSW that Larry's bucket style is just as great.*

I've had a CSW for about 2 months now and I have been meaning to give my review for a while now. I must say, it's nothing less than fantastic and I wish I would have had one before now. I've had hedgies since 2003 and up until I got Larry's CSW I used a homemade bucket wheel and while it was quiet enough, it was no way as easy to clean as the CSW (seriously, it's a breeze!) and my Thaddeus actually runs more on it than he ever did with the bucket wheel. I had three homemade bucket wheels over the years and each and every one broke pretty quickly.

It might be the size difference, but I have definitely noticed an increase in Thaddeus' activity level and he's even lost weight using it which has been wonderful because for a while he was quite the "fluffy" guy and I was worried about him.

As for the cost, I agree that it's completely reasonable. Especially for the fact that it's going to last you virtually forever. Don't eat out one weekend and there's the money for a hedgehog essential that's near perfect.

Thank you, Larry! :)

#14 ·
Mine are great! They're noisy because the plasctis bottoms they're on isn't level. Ive been meaning to try to fix that but I've been lazy lol. But the wheel itself is silent. My hedgies love them and totally worth it! I have them slanted a little so poop and pee just run right off of it and they're a breeze to clean.
My fiance keeps coming up with these crazy business plans for Larry to expand :lol: Because he thinks they're so great. I haven't shared them with Larry because they're a little silly lol

#15 ·
I have both the regular CSW and the CSBW and they are both great. They are quiet, stable and EASY to clean. Most of all, they are safe.

Sure you could make your own, but half the battle is knowing where to drill the holes!

Larry has it figured out and it's a great service to all hedgehogs! :lol:

Larry, you rock!! :D

ML

#17 ·
Just wanted to add that I agree with everything that's been said about how easy the CSW and CSBW are to clean, how quiet they are, etc. (I have one of each as well). I also wanted to add that in addition to all of the pluses about the product itself, Larry is great to work with. He's very kind, he's polite, he's more than willing to work with people if there's issues with delivery, etc., and he ships the wheels VERY quickly! They go out the same day they're ordered, if possible, or the next day, if needed. I think everyone who's ordered has gotten their wheel(s) in under 2 weeks and the longer deliveries are always ones that are going across the border to Canada.

Oh, and I'm another owner whose hedgehog started running more on one of Larry's wheels. I had a CWS (Cake Walk Supreme) from a previous person selling wheels, and then one of Larry's CSWs, which are both pretty similar. Lily liked them alright, but when I got the CSBW, she definitely ran on that one even more. I think she liked the smaller shape for whatever reason. Or maybe she liked that it was blue and sparkly! :lol: I know that's why I wanted it!

#19 ·
sweetergrrrl said:
I like the blue sparkle one I got a few weeks ago. It is super quiet and easy to clean. I thought it was prolly all hype, but it actually works and Link loves it!
You entered Link in the hedge-o-ween photo contest yet? If not please do! :D Was looking at you avaitar pic. :)

#20 ·
Gonna add my praise for both of Larry's wheels. Have one of each and me and the pogs LOVE them!!!! Worth every penny!

Kathy

#22 ·
Lilysmommy said:
Just wanted to add that I agree with everything that's been said about how easy the CSW and CSBW are to clean, how quiet they are, etc. (I have one of each as well). I also wanted to add that in addition to all of the pluses about the product itself, Larry is great to work with. He's very kind, he's polite, he's more than willing to work with people if there's issues with delivery, etc., and he ships the wheels VERY quickly! They go out the same day they're ordered, if possible, or the next day, if needed. I think everyone who's ordered has gotten their wheel(s) in under 2 weeks and the longer deliveries are always ones that are going across the border to Canada.

Oh, and I'm another owner whose hedgehog started running more on one of Larry's wheels. I had a CWS (Cake Walk Supreme) from a previous person selling wheels, and then one of Larry's CSWs, which are both pretty similar. Lily liked them alright, but when I got the CSBW, she definitely ran on that one even more. I think she liked the smaller shape for whatever reason. Or maybe she liked that it was blue and sparkly! :lol: I know that's why I wanted it!
I'm sure it was because it was blue and sparkly!!! :D

#23 ·
We can definitely recommend either CSW or the CSBW. These wheels are the only ones we use for our entire herd, rescues, and rehomes that comes to us. The only wheels we recommend for our babies and what they go home with.

With 30+ hedgies all running, we needed something quiet, safe and easy to clean not to mention can hold up for the lifetime of running from even some of the heaviest hedgehogs, this is exactly what the CSW/CSBW are. Silent, safe, easy to clean, last the lifetime of a hedgehog if not longer and of course are well worth the cost.

Larry offers a great product, exceptional customer service and of course has the know how to eliver such a great and SAFE wheel for our precious hedgies.

#24 ·
We love our CSW & CSBWs too!!

I originally got a woodent wheel from the breeder we bought Cholla from. Ugggh! What a pain to clean! You have to pull the whole thing apart.

I love how easy they are to clean, how safe they are, quite and the lovely colors of the CSBW.

We also have a cake top wheel that came with Zoey. It's funny, but Pepper won't use it. Only the pink bucket wheel so far. I don't know if it's a color thing or if she likes that it's a bit smaller. :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.