Housing a hedgehog in a 37 gallon tank TALL - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Housing a hedgehog in a 37 gallon tank TALL

Hi how's it going guys I've had my pet hedgehog named Bandit for a about a month now and I love him but he's out growing his bin and I have a 37 gallon tank that has no use maybe I could put him in there and of course next to it I have a space heater soon to invest in a ceramic heater. Thoughts concerns?
joshbarahona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Tanks aren't great for hedgehogs because they hold moisture in and don't have very good ventilation, even with a screen top on them. Bins are usually considered better because the sides slant a little bit, and because they're plastic, you can drill holes in the sides, halfway down, for better ventilation. If you have the space (and the tools to do so), it'd probably be a better idea to get a section of 4" diameter PVC pipe and connect his current bin to a second one to give him some more room, or buy a large enough small animal cage.
nikki and NewHedgieOwner100 like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2014, 03:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Penelope is in an aquarium and has been since we brought her home almost 10 months ago. We don't have a top on it, so she gets ventilation. We haven't had any issues and she seems happy.
Penny's momma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

As already mentioned tanks are not good for hedgehog homes. Even with no lid on it there is still poor ventilation because the air movement doesn't always reach the bottom of the tank, just across the top where the hedgehog isn't at. They are also made to hold in moisture and humidity, which they do very well. This can make the humidity on the bottom of the tank much higher than on the top. There also have been cases of hedgehog rubbing their noses raw on the glass because they didn't seem to realize it was there because they could see through it.

Tanks are also harder to clean because of their weight its hard to put them in a tub and tip them up etc to completely clean them.
NewHedgieOwner100 likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

I defiantly wouldn't recommend a tank as stated above. I would build a C&C cage, it's really simple, affordable, and easy to clean.
NewHedgieOwner100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Depends on the dimensions of the tank but would it work tipped on its side so the open top became the front? Then put a mesh panel on it. I don't know if the others think that would improve the ventilation or not. Otherwise I probably wouldn't do it unless I had to - the second tub is a better idea.
rodanthi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would think a space heater near a tank would be a very dangerous idea- the glass could get VERY hot! it would break and/or burn the poor hedgehog :/
Prickerz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

I personally love c&c cages.you can make them as big as you want or need they have tons of ventilation for you're hedgie and if you make it you're self there cheaper then a store bought cage.i made mine and spent under $60 for a 2x4 c&c cage with a stand I got the six cube packes at Kmart for 21 each,Coroplast at Home Depot for 14, and zip ties for 87 cents for a pack of 20 and got 4 packs at Walmart.i still have tons of grids left for a lid to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (443.3 KB, 52 views)
ilovebailey1617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2015, 06:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've got mine in a C&C cage, its a raised 2x4 with extra storage underneath. My only suggestion is to make the walls of corrugated plastic tall enough your hedgie can't get to the wire cube part and start climbing. Fireball managed to escape several times this way. Should have named him houdini.
Whiskey.Anni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aquarium, cage, housing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in