Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Hello newbie here
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lilysmommy
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum! First off, in case you haven't seen it, this book is free to download & has a ton of up-to-date info, I'd definitely recommend checking it out - http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/fi.../download.html

Your cage size sounds good, & liners are great!

I wouldn't recommend using sand at all, personally. There's a couple of people who have tried using it on the forum, but if you have fine sand, it could easily irritate the eyes and nose, and any sand would be a risk for getting caught in privates, especially for males. If you're looking for something for a dig box, many people use fleece strips or a small container with small aquarium stones.

For transportation, you need a hard-sided cat or dog carrier. It's the best way to transport hedgies safely & make sure they're protected in case of a car accident. If you're unable to respond, the emergency responders are trained to look for animal carriers after the people are taken care of. You can put a fleece blanket or two in the carrier for hedgie to snuggle up in during the ride, they will probably sleep the whole time, unless they get car sick.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote