Hedgehog Central banner

The Original My Warm Pet

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Fight4light 
#1 ·
I chose to get this heating pad for my future hedgehog (going to get her day after tomorrow!). I was in the market for something that didn't have to really be plugged in to provide constant warmth because my hedgehog is staying at my boyfriends house (I basically live here too, but it's long long story for another time). Since he pays the bills, he was worried about energy expenditure.

I found this product and thought it was too good to be true. It's a fraction of the cost ($20 with free 2 day shipping for prime members!). It advertises 4 minutes in the microwave = 12 hours of heat. Well, I got it and wanted to test it out before I got a hedgie, just to be sure. I mean, nothing else is worse than scrambling to get emergency provisions when your little baby is already at home, right?

So I heated it for the 4 minutes, followed the instructions. I didn't come out hot, but came out really really warm (very pleasant to hold, like folding towels fresh out of the dryer on a cold day). I popped it into my hedgies cage, it fits PERFECTLY into the large purple igloo, like it was built custom to go in there. I left it over night and I'm pleased to report that my temperature gun (super accurate, i have delicate reptiles too) was reading 80 degrees inside the igloo as of 11.5 hours after I placed it in there. This was also in an empty cage, I'm sure it would last even long with the hedgie in there to exchange body heat with.

Being where I live, it only gets slightly chilly at night, this is a perfect solution for us. Something to consider for those that live in places with more mild winters.

I give it an 9/10, deducting a couple points because it's pretty hard. It adds to durability but can be uncomfortable. It does have a soft fleece cover, and I am using it under a bunch of shredded fleece strips so it won't matter. Just know that it could be uncomfortable without some additional padding.

See less See more
#2 ·
You need something that is going to heat the entire cage, not just the igloo. If the igloo is 80 degrees and the cage itself is lower, then your hedgehog may not come out the igloo to eat or exercise or if he does he's going to get chilled and that can trigger a hibernation attempt. The entire cage should be kept between 74 - 78 degrees F. 80 is actually to warm for most hedgehogs. If the pad was warmer than that when you put it in the igloo it could cause low temperature burns on your hedgehog as well.

#3 ·
They are great for taking hedgie to the vet, or to provide some extra heat after a bath, but not for cage heating. As Nikki has mentioned, it will make the igloo very warm and the rest of the cage will feel that much colder to hedgie. Such a wide temperature variation puts hedgie at even greater risk of hibernation.

Also, at night, hedgie is up and active so won't benefit at all from the heated igloo. Having the cage heated during the night is especially important as that is when hedgie is up and active.

#4 ·
Oh the heat from it is low grade. It doesn't get hotter then that. It radiates out and keeps the cage about 77. During the night without it, it was about 71. So by the time the hedgie will be using it will be during the day when it's almost completely cool.

As I said, it wouldn't work in some situations, but should work nicely in mine.

#5 ·
Also if I notice anything I have a backup heating blanket below it. The cage is plastic and covered. It's got good ventilation but holds heat well. So if worse comes to worse I have that.

I'm good at controlling heat for my animals so I'm not too worried but will for sure keep an eye on it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.