Hedgehog Central banner

Quill loss?

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  rebeccaeric18 
#1 ·
Hey guys, lately I've noticed harlow has been losing a lot of quills. In the past few days she's lost 23.
She just got off URI antibiotics 2 weeks ago.. She's been eating and drinking as normal and running on her wheel. Her skin looks normal to me and I haven't noticed anything abnormal about her.
Just wondering if it's the spring weather here and it's like a "shedding" season like other animals.. Or if something is seriously wrong
thanks in advance again!

#7 ·
Im not sure about any home remedies for the mites, I think most get the Revolution if this is what it is. But one thing you could do if the itching and quill loss is due to dry skin is give him an Oatmeal Aveeno bath. If you do this though just make sure that the water is not too deep because they can get scared and you want to make sure to keep it out of his face. You probably already know about the bath time thing but I wanted to make sure and say just in case. Hope your hedgie feels better :)

#11 ·
I'd treat Harlow with Revolution, in case it is mites. She came from a pet shop, and all the pet shop hedgehogs I have seen around here have mites--the pet stores just aren't that careful with the animals they sell and they don't care if they have mites or not.

I think you can get Revolution from your vet without having to take Harlow in for a visit, but if she hasn't been yet, it would be a good time to have her well-hedgie visit.

We aren't sure if the 5 hedgehogs we got from the TX rescue have mites, either, but all 8 of the hedgehogs here are getting treated just in case! We've got the Revolution and will wash everything and treat everyone tomorrow night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.