Silent Spinner - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Silent Spinner

This wheel gets a big thumbs down. Not only is is not silent, it is dangerous.

CONS
- The wheel extends past the base so when hedgie is stepping into the wheel, it can overbalance and tip over injuring (or worse) hedgie
- the wheel has a curved running tread and down the middle of the tread are drainage slits and a seam. These slits and seam can catch little toes and toenails causing severe injury.
- The wheel is not silent
- When using the wheel attached directly to the cage, the nuts on both front and back of the wheel can come loose allowing the wheel to fall
- The wheel is made of brittle plastic and breaks easily

Some people have tried to make the wheel less dangerous by putting tape over the slits and seam down the middle but then the urine will not drain away making the wheel a mess to run in.

PROS
- available at most pet stores
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silentspinner.jpg (17.4 KB, 1794 views)

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to tinypixiexoxo
Default Re: Silent Spinner

Thumbs down here too. Although I did use this for a year with my hog, I was unaware of the potential dangers. I am so glad I was able to find a different wheel to use.

Don't be fooled by the smooth plastic of the wheel thinking that pee and poo will slide off. This wheel was a NIGHTMARE to clean, and the poo really stuck on. It contributed to my hog's gross feet of which I had to wash weekly.

I know people who use this wheel for rats and found that some large rats weighing 600 or 700 grams can actually break the wheel when they climb on, causing injuries to their rats. I'm sure the same could occur for a large hedgehog.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

This wheel is awful! I had it before our amazing new wheel (thanks Larry!) and it squeeked like crazy, It wasn't safe and it would not even fit in my C&C cage. Its fine for my little itty bitty hamster, but not for my hedgie
TeddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just wanted to share this picture of a friend who bought this wheel and told me it was the best.

Yes, that's blood.

Please take this into consideration before purchasing a wheel just because it's 'too cute (as my friend said). It broke my heart when she sent me this picture

cwallace4runner likes this.

EinsteinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

This is the wheel that came with my hedgehog as I bought her with her full set up.

As I do not have the option to purchase a new wheel at this time I have tried to make it as safe as possible for her until I can get something different.

-I have it attached directly to the cage, it seems to slant slightly so the urine drains.
-I used a high temp hot glue gun to seal all the holes and joints, once it cooled slightly I licked my finger and ran it over the glue to make it smooth on the inside. There are absolutely no places for a toe to get caught now!

i feel comfortable with it until I get something different
coffeebean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

The 1st night I brought my girl home I was laying in bed and heard the WORSE noise I have EVER heard in my life coming from her cage, I ran to look and there was blood EVERYWHERE it was ALL over the wheel and there was a trail of it from her wheel to her igloo! I had quick stop from trimming my dogs nails (it wasn't even opened because I never get close I am so scared to hurt them) I stopped the blood, took her to a ER exotic vet an hour and 45 minutes away. The nail broke completely off, there was no nail where their should of been coming out of her foot. It was her back left pinkie nail. I looked in her wheel and it was still wedged inside the middle seam of the wheel. It was the scariest moment of my life and I highly suggest getting another wheel asap. Order one online. It was seriously bad though.
nikki and cwallace4runner like this.
AlexLovesOlive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

so, what is the kind of wheel recommended?
Faby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Carolina storm wheels! I got them today and I love them. And they aren't much more then the silent spinners
ilovebailey1617 likes this.
Charlie's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah carolina storm wheels are the BEST they are even quieter than the silent spinner all you can hear is the little pitter patter of feet.
ilovebailey1617 likes this.
AlexLovesOlive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

I also glued the holes shut in Penny's wheel until I could afford to get a CSW. I ordered mine to be shipped to Canada and it still cost less than the silent spinner did. Check the glue and the holes when you wash the wheel and make sure it is still all covered and that there are no rough/sharp edges or that it has not come out.
Larry T's CSB and CSW are the best, plus you have the re assurance of the fact they are made by a hedgie owner and not just some pet store trying to make money.
cwallace4runner likes this.
phoenix1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in