Japan (Tokyo-to & Ibaraki-ken) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By nighstar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Japan (Tokyo-to & Ibaraki-ken)

not sure if this will help anyone, but i'll put it out there anyway because it's impossible to find information in English on exotic animal vets in Japan.

Tokyo-to // 東京都

when i bought my hedgie from the exotic pets specialty store Pure Animal in Tokyo (who also does a pet hotel business on the side for hedgies, sugar gliders, etc by the way), they gave me the business card of an animal hospital in Tokyo that treats exotic animals, including hedgehogs (harinezumi / ハリネズミ). i do not have any personal experience with this hospital as i do not live in Tokyo so prefer to go somewhere closer, but here's the hospital's info.

Denen Chofu Animal Hospital (Denen Chofu Dobutsu Byoin)
2-1-3 Denenchofu
Ota-ku, Tokyo-to
145-0071

田園調布動物病院
〒145-0071
東京都大田区田園調布2-1-3

phone: 03-5483-7676
reception hours: 09:00 ~ 12:30, 16:00 ~ 19:30 (CLOSED THURSDAYS)

CALL BEFORE GOING. the person who handles exotic animals is the hospital's director (incho / 院長) Tamukai-sensei (田向先生), who is not always at the hospital.

Ibaraki-ken // 茨城県

before getting my hedgehog i did research online to see if there was a vet in my area who accepts hedgehogs. when i found one, i called them and confirmed that they do accept hedgehogs, although only the hospital's director (incho / 院長) handles them.

yesterday i took Yukihari to the Friend Animal Medical Center in Mito City/水戸市 for the first time. you can read more about our experience here, but suffice it to say that the hospital staff was all very nice and the director was very knowledgeable and helpful. they do not speak English, but they will go out of their way to try and explain things as simply as possible to you. at this point i have only been there once, but i would recommend the hospital to others. the hospital's info:

Friend Animal Medical Center (Furendo Animaru Medikaru Sentaa)
2-10-8 Yanagimachi
Mito-shi, Ibaraki-ken
310-0817

フレンドアニマルメディカルセンター
〒310-0817
茨城県水戸市柳町2-10-8

phone: 029-221-2011
reception hours: 08:00 - 19:00 (CLOSED SUNDAYS)
consultation hours: 09:00 - 20:00 (CLOSED SUNDAYS)
phone consultation hours: 08:00 - 23:00 (CLOSED SUNDAYS)

this hospital does have 24hr/365 emergency support, but this does not apply to exotics as only the director handles them. CALL BEFORE GOING to confirm the director's availability. also, this hospital does NOT do appointments. after calling to confirm the director's availability, you will have to go to the hospital on the day you wish to be seen to fill out paperwork and take a number to be placed in the queue of people waiting to see the director. the wait can last up to 3 hours due to the director being in high demand, so be sure to bundle up your hedgie appropriately to keep him/her warm and cozy during the wait. also bear in mind that the waiting room will be full of all kinds of other animals.

oh, and lastly.... when i went i brought 30,000yen with me because i thought that the checkup fee might be expensive for hedgehogs, but it ended up being only 1,800yen with the medicine included! w00t!

good luck! hope this helps someone.

Last edited by nighstar; 04-12-2014 at 10:06 PM.
nighstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Certainly helps me, thanks for the information!
Coffeequills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

I live in Tokyo.
I went to a vet in Kichijoji yesterday. We called the day before and booked an appointment by phone in Japanese.

My Japanese is okay, but I brought a friend with me who could speak Japanese and help me with the forms. (Doctors/Forms are only in Japanese.) They didn't mind both of us coming in.

The doctor who saw us asked a lot of good questions, waited patiently while we translated and showed him various things. And he did a thorough examination.

He tried to look at my hedgehog without sedating him first. My hedgehog had a lump that needed examining/testing and possible teeth issues. So they took him while we waited in the lobby. They did sedate him a little but he was up and awake within half an hour and we could take him home.

The registration fee (1,400yen) and shot, 10 days medicine, an examination and consultation, anaesthetic, and cutting the lump and treating it all cost 12,000yen together.

吉祥寺どうぶつ病院 (Kichijoji Doubutsu Byouin)
Address: 〒180-0006 Tokyo, Musashino, Nakacho, 3 Chome−23−11, ハイライフ・武蔵野 1F
Phone:0422-55-1715
beccadango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you Beccadango for sharing this info! I'm a new hedgehog owner and was just looking for a vet in this area! ~just want to get my little one looked over for a health check, plus he seems to have a dry skin issue going on! ><
Hope your little guy is doing ok now
Thanks again!
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ibaraki, japan, tokyo, vet, veterinarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in