Wisconsin - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pfeffernuss

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Wisconsin

Please post good vets you have been to in Wisconsin. Name the vet clinic as well as the name of the veterinarian you saw as sometimes a vet clinic can have both good and bad vets. Put the city as the subject line.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 01:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Mequon, Wisconsin (Near Milwaukee)

Dr. Beatty
My Pet's Vet Clinic
11422 N. Port Washington Road
Mequon, WI 53092

http://mypetsvetmequon.com/

Milly has seen Dr. Beatty twice - once for a wellness check up and once for erratic quill loss not related to quilling. Dr. Beatty was absolutely wonderful! He is very quiet and gentle with her. He isn't afraid to touch her and doesn't whip out gloves for anything. He understands that hogs are timid and defensive and usually trust their owner enough to make it sensible to involve the owner in the exam. He was quick to compliment me during our 2nd visit when Milly showed him how far our relationship had progressed in a positive way. When I told him how many mealworms I give Milly, he warned me about how quickly that amount can result in an obese hog, but he didn't make me feel belittled or judged. He was thorough during the quill-loss exam, but didn't push me to run 14 tests. He actually flat out told me that if she was his pet, he wouldn't bother spending the $60 on a bacterial/fungal infection test!

There have been a few things we disagreed on (namely what a healthy weight is and how many insects to feed) but I have never felt pressured or "dumb" with him. I really trust him and feel good when we leave his office. Also, he was cooperative with me when I opted to get a fecal test done at my local vet due to the lower cost. He just asked me to have the results faxed to his office so they could be put with Milly's records.

4.9 out of 5 star rating for this vet!

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 01:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Wisconsin

Pfeffer's mom here and I've had a rather sick little girl lately so I can give some good advice on Madison area vets:

If your looking for a cheap option and just for a very simple once over:

($) Candlin Pet Hospital. I'd recommend them for mite treatment, but not for much more. I had Pfeffer treated here until she had some bloody urine, long story short, the vet has not seen many hedgehogs, you could successfully receive a spay here, but for anything serious or perplexing, please take your hedgie to another vet.

Candlin Pet Hospital - 608-256-3271
http://www.candlinpethospital.com/
1244 South Park Street Madison WI 53715 (Across the street from the intersection of Olin and Park)

I'd recommend this place as your long-term vet:

($$$) Fitchburg Animal Hospital. Pfeffer is being treated for kidney stones here, one of the vets has seen a lot of hedgehogs and deals mainly with exotics. They are priced in the upper range, but I think it is very worth it for the care. The vet even took me into the back and showed my Pfeffer's x-rays on the screen and discussed all her health issues and anything concerning. They were very clear about how much medicine to give and made syringe feeding as painless as possible (for me that is!) They are also attached to a wonderful boarding place where my little hedgie will be staying over the holidays. They can do medications, and they will keep your hedgie on a c.h.e. and light schedule. It's $13 a night for boarding. I avoided this place at first because I was wary of things with a trendy facade (if you've been to Madison you know what I'm talking about), but the vet there is very capable and they've made owning a pet easier between them and the boarders.

Fitchburg Animal Hospital - 608-271-4212
http://www.fitchburgvet.com/
6249 Nesbitt Road Madison WI 53719 (by the German Store and Quivey's Grove)

For serious hard to treat issues:

($$$$$) UW Veterinary Teaching Hospital. I used to work here, they are probably some of the best doctors you can find in the Midwest. If they can give a tortoise shoulder surgery and save a dog after being hit by a train, they can probably deal with any issue your hedgehog is having. I would save this only for life and death or risky surgeries, their prices are inflated by about 5x of the local prices.

UW Veterinary Teaching Hospital - 608-263-7600
http://uwveterinarycare.wisc.edu/
2015 Linden Drive Madison WI 53706 (West end of campus, hospital part of the veterinary building is on the far right)

I spent a lot of time researching vets who would see hedgies and their prices back when I first got Pfeffer. Candlin is by far the cheapest, but it has it's drawbacks. Fitchburg for being a fancy clinic is reasonably priced in terms of similar options and their vet really enjoyed working with Pfeffer even if she can be spiky and hateful. You'd be out of your mind to go to UW unless you either a. have a lot of money or b. are in a complicated life or death situation with your hedgie.

Good luck! Let me know who you decide on, send me a private message about any Madison area hedgie stuff!

Also, should an emergency happen in the middle of the night, Veterinary Emergency Service is the place to take your hedgehog, as UW cannot see exotics overnight (their exotic staff is strictly daytime). Fitchburg is open the occasional late night, but anything in the wee hours will be referred to VES, even by UW.

Veterinary Emergency Service - 608-831-1101
http://veterinaryemergencyservice.com/
1612 N High Point Road Suite 100 Middleton WI 53562 (I'd recommend the MIddleton location, it has the most services, it is just off the belt line in the burbs)

And of course since VES is purely emergency/crisis situations - ($$$$$!)
lfarndt likes this.
Pfeffernuss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 02:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Re: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeffernuss
Pfeffer's mom here and I've had a rather sick little girl lately so I can give some good advice on Madison area vets:

If your looking for a cheap option and just for a very simple once over:

($) Candlin Pet Hospital. I'd recommend them for mite treatment, but not for much more. I had Pfeffer treated here until she had some bloody urine, long story short, the vet has not seen many hedgehogs, you could successfully receive a spay here, but for anything serious or perplexing, please take your hedgie to another vet.

Candlin Pet Hospital - 608-256-3271
http://www.candlinpethospital.com/
1244 South Park Street Madison WI 53715 (Across the street from the intersection of Olin and Park)

I'd recommend this place as your long-term vet:

($$$) Fitchburg Animal Hospital. Pfeffer is being treated for kidney stones here, one of the vets has seen a lot of hedgehogs and deals mainly with exotics. They are priced in the upper range, but I think it is very worth it for the care. The vet even took me into the back and showed my Pfeffer's x-rays on the screen and discussed all her health issues and anything concerning. They were very clear about how much medicine to give and made syringe feeding as painless as possible (for me that is!) They are also attached to a wonderful boarding place where my little hedgie will be staying over the holidays. They can do medications, and they will keep your hedgie on a c.h.e. and light schedule. It's $13 a night for boarding. I avoided this place at first because I was wary of things with a trendy facade (if you've been to Madison you know what I'm talking about), but the vet there is very capable and they've made owning a pet easier between them and the boarders.

Fitchburg Animal Hospital - 608-271-4212
http://www.fitchburgvet.com/
6249 Nesbitt Road Madison WI 53719 (by the German Store and Quivey's Grove)

For serious hard to treat issues:

($$$$$) UW Veterinary Teaching Hospital. I used to work here, they are probably some of the best doctors you can find in the Midwest. If they can give a tortoise shoulder surgery and save a dog after being hit by a train, they can probably deal with any issue your hedgehog is having. I would save this only for life and death or risky surgeries, their prices are inflated by about 5x of the local prices.

UW Veterinary Teaching Hospital - 608-263-7600
http://uwveterinarycare.wisc.edu/
2015 Linden Drive Madison WI 53706 (West end of campus, hospital part of the veterinary building is on the far right)

I spent a lot of time researching vets who would see hedgies and their prices back when I first got Pfeffer. Candlin is by far the cheapest, but it has it's drawbacks. Fitchburg for being a fancy clinic is reasonably priced in terms of similar options and their vet really enjoyed working with Pfeffer even if she can be spiky and hateful. You'd be out of your mind to go to UW unless you either a. have a lot of money or b. are in a complicated life or death situation with your hedgie.

Good luck! Let me know who you decide on, send me a private message about any Madison area hedgie stuff!

Also, should an emergency happen in the middle of the night, Veterinary Emergency Service is the place to take your hedgehog, as UW cannot see exotics overnight (their exotic staff is strictly daytime). Fitchburg is open the occasional late night, but anything in the wee hours will be referred to VES, even by UW.

Veterinary Emergency Service - 608-831-1101
http://veterinaryemergencyservice.com/
1612 N High Point Road Suite 100 Middleton WI 53562 (I'd recommend the MIddleton location, it has the most services, it is just off the belt line in the burbs)

And of course since VES is purely emergency/crisis situations - ($$$$$!)

Candlin Pet Hospital - Dr. Berglund
Fitchburg Animal Hospital - Dr. Olsen
UW Vet Hospital - Multiple
VES - Never used their service so far
Pfeffernuss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Eau Claire Animal Hospital
2504 Mall Drive
Eau Claire, WI 54701
USA
(715) 835-5011

Monday thru Friday
7:15 AM - 6:00 PM

Saturday
8:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Sunday
Closed

For after hours, please call our hospital at 715-835-5011.

Going for Yuki's first appointment Thursday~ Will let you know how things go!

Gero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Living in northern Wisconsin its kind of hard to find a vet that is close by but I took Henry to the Mosinee Veterinary Clinic. I'm not exactly sure on how the price are compared to other places but it was around $70 for a wellness check up. I don't remember the docter we saw but every one there was super nice and worked well with him. They seemed to know what they were doing. One of the 2 vet. clinics in Stevens Point used to take hedgehogs but last I checked they said they were not accepting them anymore.
northernWIhog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2015, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Healthy Pet Vet Clinic
2801 E Washington Ave
Madison, WI 53704

Dr. Christman

Under a hundred dollars for an exam (with light sedation) and a round of antibiotics. She seemed pretty knowledgeable about hedgies and has been treating them apparently for 12 years. Overall, pretty pleased with my exam. This clinic is near the East Towne mall on the east side of Madison, so closer to cities like Beaver Dam, Waupun, Columbus, etc.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Okay me again. I just want to ensure the best for Kirby. I am young so I still live with my mother. Whenever I tell her that hedgehogs are supposed to go to the vet she just laughs. I am doing chores for money so I can take Kirby to the vet. But he hasn't been to the vet his whole life. Is that okay? He's 10 months. First I have to find a vet in Milwaukee that will look over hedgehogs. Can someone help me find a vet in Milwaukee. Because I'm sure that my mother won't take Kirby far from home. Please help!
KirbyandMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Has anyone found any in the Fox Valley are?
andraj04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in