Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Salmonella?
Thread: Salmonella?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tongue_Flicker

Be wary if you feed your hedgie boiled eggs. Eggs primary carry a lot of salmonella that usually dies off during cooking but can trigger the salmonella levels on the GI tract on whoevers eating it. I'm guessing your tap water is safer than where i'm at anyways so let's skip that. Watch out when you're feeding root crops (i.e. potato, yams, sweet potato, carrots, turnips, beets, etc.) they come in direct contact with the soil so wash and cook those very carefully.

Always wash your hands with soap and water before and after handling your hedgie. If you have other pets, wash your hands before and after handling any.

I've kept hedgehogs for 6 years now and i don't give foot baths. Yes, they do receive monthly baths or baths during quilling for the younger ones and that's it. I also keep more than 90 other exotic pets with me that i would often let loose on my bed without fear of any bacterial infection (with the exception of my turtle and tiel as they are highest risk carriers of anything!)

Also, most non-airborne bacteria and virus usually die within 3-4 hours if they don't come in contact with a vector

Just wash, wash, wash!

Neil

" With great power comes great electricity bill... "
Tongue_Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote