Hedgehog Central banner

Alberta

18K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  grumpypebbles 
#1 ·
Please post good vets you have been to in Alberta. Name the vet clinic as well as the name of the veterinarian you saw as sometimes a vet clinic can have both good and bad vets. Put the city as the subject line.

Thanks

#5 ·
Edmonton, Alberta

castle downs vet clinic dr.lee
in edmonton

he is the most amazing man i have every meet. he has looked after
all MY animals, my fiancees animals
my fiancee's familys anmials
my best friends animals.

he truley cared, when he couldent save my kitten he cried with me while we put her to sleep (R.I.P Talbit <3)

#7 ·
Re: Sherwood Park

Heritage Hills is where I take Willow.
I don't remember the vets name but he is the only one there that sees hedgehogs.
She was sick for a while and he was so amazing. We were going so often that I was given 3 free visits, 1 half price visit and 2 visits where I only paid for meds. They call to check to see how things are going and even send you cute little cards thanking you when you refer some one.

#8 ·
Calgary, Alberta

I go to Calgary Avian & Exotic Pet Clinic, however I must say that although I have really enjoyed my experiences with both Dr. Materi and Dr. Korber, they do use Ivermectin and my experience with Dr. Materi in getting her to treat with Revolution was a bit of a battle, however she did concede in the end. Otherwise, really great experiences. =)

#9 ·
Even though I live on the opposite side of Edmonton, I make the drive for the fantastic care from the Park Veterinary Centre in Sherwood Park. They are familiar with small exotics. I did not catch the name of the female vet I saw, but she was amazing!! Really took her time and talked about everything with me.

They book appointments late and have a store there- my appointment was at 8:30pm, and the store stayed open so I could buy some supplies that the local pet stores were missing.

Here is their website: Highly recommend them!!

http://www.infovet.ca/parkvet/showClini ... emId=2457&

#14 ·
Even though I live on the opposite side of Edmonton, I make the drive for the fantastic care from the Park Veterinary Centre in Sherwood Park. They are familiar with small exotics. I did not catch the name of the female vet I saw, but she was amazing!! Really took her time and talked about everything with me.

They book appointments late and have a store there- my appointment was at 8:30pm, and the store stayed open so I could buy some supplies that the local pet stores were missing.

Here is their website: Highly recommend them!!
100% Agree - I have gone there twice. They were amazing both times. Once was a check up & another time an emergency. They were able to book me in the same day that I called. I can't recommend them enough.

#10 ·
Crestwood Veterinary Centre
Dr. Doug Heffelfinger
9640 149th Street
Edmonton, Alberta
780-444-7550

Specializes in small animals, and hedgehogs. Good with surgery including spays and orthopaedics. Ultrasound on site. Reasonably priced (because they have everything on site).

#12 ·
"I go to Calgary Avian & Exotic Pet Clinic"

I took Harper here when we were in Calgary on business and they were great. They did lecture me a LOT for letting her snooze in my sweater, but were good overall. They snuck her in really quickly because she wasn't well and we walked away happy and soon to be healthy!

#17 ·
Calgary's Avenida All Pet Clinic is where I take Finnick the hedgie along with all of my other exotics. Doctor Phillips is very knowledgeable across a wide array of animals. She is however, extremely set in her ways. I personally don't think this is a persistently negative trait, but it's good to be aware that you may need to put up a fight if you have strong opposing views (such as on mite treatment).
She will suggest operations other vets won't if she believes it is in the animal's best interest, and she will then perform the operation herself, which is excellent in the case of cancerous growths. She operated on my dwarf hamster's ear to remove a lump.
She is rather expensive (at last visit ~$80 for just a consult of an exotic animal with bloodwork, fecal exam etc adding to the total) but I definitely trust her and I know she and her team genuinely care about the wellbeing of my pets.

#18 · (Edited)
I took Tinkerball to Calgary North, and they were very kind and helpful. The doctor I saw knew a lot about hedgehogs and respected Tinkerball and the fact that she was terrified and in pain and that I had only had her for one week so I wasn't much comfort either. I was very happy that she was given pain medication, and so was she.

However, I would not go to Calgary North unless it was an emergency, as I ended up spending nearly $500 when all was said and done. I spoke to my friend who has experience with hedgies, beardies, ferrets etc., and she told me that Avenida is about half the cost of Calgary North for the same procedures and medications.

Also, I was quoted $90 as a consultation fee, and then on my bill it was $110. When I took my dwarf hamster to Avenida, the consultation was only $80 and I paid what I was quoted.

#19 ·
Dewinton, Alberta

DeWinton pet hospital was wonderful! Lindsey in reception was very friendly and fit us in for an emergency that day. Obviously I really appreciated that.

We saw Dr. Eva. She was extremely through, knowledgeable and very personable. She made sure I knew exactly what was being done. My hedggie required anesthesia and she knew I was nervous about it. She took the time to do everything in her power to reassure me.

They told me she would be finished with him in about 40 minutes and she was done in 20 minutes.

I am very pleased and will continue to return with our hedgehog :)

#20 ·
South Side Animal Hospital

South Side Animal Hospital, 6003 104 St NW Edmonton AB (on Calgary Trail Southbound and 60th Ave)

Dr Heather Steele and Dr Tanya Marrazzo both helped me with my little guy - they know their stuff and are comfortable with our prickly friends! We just had to put him down (3.5years old with lymphoma) and they were caring and compassionate for the whole journey.

#21 ·
Ottewell Animal Clinic
Dr. Pettifor

I have been here twice and have had nothing but amazing experiences. Dr. Pettifor is an exotic vet with extensive experience with hedgehogs. Twice she has been able to detect what was wrong with Wilbur depsite his screenings (skin, mouth, weight, etc) all appearing to be perfect. Also, the prices are very affordable, when he had a URI the entire exam, anesthetic (happy gas), nail clipping and his medication costed only costed $95.00. They also have great availability and I have never had to wait more than a day to get my little guy in.

http://ottewellanimalclinic.com/

#22 ·
Calgary Vets - Avenida/VCA Calgary North Emergency

Avenida is under new ownership now, and the new vet, Dr. Milcius, is delightful! He's very well versed in exotics, and I will be taking my new baby hoglet to him when the time comes. He currently sees all my other exotics except the birds.

VCA Calgary North is 24-hours so if you need an emergency exotic vet, this is the place to go! I see Dr. Weger usually, but all of the emergency staff have been amazing and they're more than happy to team up if you bring in a critter someone is unfamiliar with.

#23 ·
Edmonton, Alberta
Harvest Pointe Animal Hospital
Dr. Alice Liboiron

Oh. My. God!!! This is the best veterinary clinic, hands down. Pebbles is a very tempermental hedgehog who hates being held and touched. The last vet I went to- The Crestwood Veterinary Clinic, I saw Dr. Doug H-something- couldn't even pick her up. Dr Liboiron not only was able to handle Pebbles, but was able to massage her stomach to check for any obvious swelling. While Pebbles was fighting with all her might to get away, might I add!
Dr. Liboiron had a few different types of dried bugs to give to Pebbles in an attempt to see her mouth/teeth, and while it didn't work as Pebbles was extremely on edge, I was impressed that they kept treats on hand! (They also had the room we were in customized with differenr perches and various other treats for birds.)
She also discussed the different things Pebbles might have based on her symptoms, explained how they'd rule those things out, and the costs of each one. She didn't push for any tests to be done that day, instead gave Pebbles some medicine and told me to keep an eye on everything and we could go from there.
Overall, she was extremely knowledgeable, compassionate, easy to talk to, very friendly. The receptionists/nurses were also extremely friendly. I would recommend this vet if you're looking for one in Edmonton. It is definitely worth the drive!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.