Hedgehog Central banner

Itchy, Bouncy hedgeog?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  eyesack 
#1 ·
Hi guys. Mika has been really itchy lately, I think she's still doing the baby quilling, since she's losing a lot of quills but is growing bigger ones in. I've noticed for a while sometimes I hear her making a "bup bup bup bup" noise, so I set up a light and a camera to try and figure out what she's doing.

Do hedgehogs ever have seizures?! I don't think that's what it is, because she stops every time I've tried to catch her bumping around. Anyway, here's a link to the video. The bumping is closer to the end of the video. Maybe she has hiccups? Not sure what it is, but if anyone could lend a hand I'd like to know!

#3 ·
I'm with my hedgie right now and she was just doing the bouncy thing a few minutes ago. She is a little over six months and I started noticing her doing that about three months ago. I notice she does it whenever she is getting ready to go to sleep. I too have asked what that is, but no one seems to know. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Doesn't seem to be bothering your little hedgie. I'll let you know if I find anything else out about it.

#5 ·
Haha that's good to know that it's normal! It's been jeez... 7 years since my last baby, so I must have forgotten about it lol.

Turns out Mika has mites :O. Dr. Goode gave her a shot of Ivermectin which she said also kills lung worms but she didn't think that was a problem for Mika. Uggghhhh I think I have to ask my parents for some scratch. Didn't realize a 44 dollar visit could turn into a 100 dollar visit =(. She has to go back in 2 weeks too...

#7 ·
eyesack said:
Haha that's good to know that it's normal! It's been jeez... 7 years since my last baby, so I must have forgotten about it lol.

Turns out Mika has mites :O. Dr. Goode gave her a shot of Ivermectin which she said also kills lung worms but she didn't think that was a problem for Mika. Uggghhhh I think I have to ask my parents for some scratch. Didn't realize a 44 dollar visit could turn into a 100 dollar visit =(. She has to go back in 2 weeks too...
Hey :) i seen your other utube video and was wondering did the vet look at the bump on her chin?

#8 ·
Oooooooooooooooooooooh Crap. Uhhhmmmmmm... Well I do trust my vet, but I will tell her about this next time I visit in 2 weeks. I'll keep my eye on Mika. She's back to eating a lot so that's good I think... Eeek I'm a little freaked out by the horror stories! :(

And yes, Larry, the vet took a look at the bumps on her chin, but didn't seem to be worried about them. She couldn't get Mika's mouth open to see inside, but maybe next visit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.