Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hedgehog Health FAQs and Important Topics (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Important notice about taking advice (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8524)

Nancy 02-21-2011 09:18 AM

Important notice about taking advice

This is a reminder about advice given on the forum and through pm and emails.

Please take your hedgie to a vet if you notice something wrong. You
can post about the issue, but take the information given as possible suggestions only on what might be wrong or what to look for. Remember that signs and symptoms can be the same for numerous illnesses or conditions and your vet is the only one to know for sure.

Taking advice given privately through pm’s and email is always risky. The safest advice is given on open forum. When given on open forum, if the advice or suggestions given are wrong or misleading, chances are it will be quickly corrected. In the past there have been numerous instances of advice given privately being wrong resulting in both minor and serious consequences.

Also remember that those with high posts counts are not necessarily experienced or knowledgeable. Some people reply to every post, often to up their post count and other times just because they are friendly and enjoy posting. A high post count does not mean the person is experienced or knowledgeable.

LarryT 09-01-2011 11:32 AM

Re: Important notice about taking advice

This needs a bump.

Kalandra 09-01-2011 01:38 PM

Thanks Larry.

Taking advice online can be very difficult. There are so many different opinions on how to do things, and so many different levels of experience. My suggestion is to use the advice you get here to help you continue your own research. Ask people if they have actually experienced the situation. And then use that information to continue your conversation with a veterinarian. Keep in mind there are no experts here. Each of us have had experiences with different situations.

I would like to also ask people who lend advice to be careful. If you haven't experienced a situation, stop and reconsider posting advice you have read elsewhere. We have seen far too many times key information lost in the translation. It can be difficult to recognize key pieces of information when you haven't encountered the situation before.

For example, I have limited baby experience. I don't reply to most baby postings because I don't have the experience to backup the advice. One minor detail left out and I may cause an entire litter to be cannibalized.

LarryT 01-19-2012 07:37 PM

Bump

hanhan27 01-19-2012 07:42 PM

Good idea, Larry!

It's also a good idea to keep in mind that someone who has owned a hog for a short period of time isn't always the best person to take advice from. I'm not saying that new owners can't be knowledgeable, but in certain situations, you want advice from someone who has real experience with the issue you're asking about, rather than from someone who read it about it once. :)

LizardGirl 01-19-2012 09:22 PM

Hallelujah hanhan27! :lol: Exactly.

Nancy 01-19-2012 10:03 PM

You beat us to it. We've had many complaints lately, both private and reported posts. We were going to post about the issue. People are getting frustrated and we all know what happens then. :roll:

LarryT 03-16-2012 11:24 AM

This needs a bump, again.

jennybess 04-12-2012 01:02 AM

If you haven't experienced a situation, stop and reconsider posting advice you have read elsewhere. We have seen far too many times key information lost in the translation. It can be difficult to recognize key pieces of information when you haven't encountered the situation before.

LarryT 04-20-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennybess
If you haven't experienced a situation, stop and reconsider posting advice you have read elsewhere. We have seen far too many times key information lost in the translation. It can be difficult to recognize key pieces of information when you haven't encountered the situation before.

Well said! :) This needs a bump again.