|08-18-2011, 07:49 PM||#1 (permalink)|
Hooked on Hogs
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Read before posting health questions
When posting asking for ideas on what might be wrong with your hedgehog, the more information you give, the better we may be able to help. Below are some guidelines to follow. The first section, please answer each question. The second part, answer those that apply.
It is easiest to follow if you stick to one thread so we can follow updates more easily.
Title the thread with a description such as, Help, Green diarrhea or Not eating. People will read a thread more quickly when a description is given.
Note that nobody here is a vet and it is always best to consult a hedgehog experienced vet rather than following internet advice.
- How old is your hedgehog? Please state year plus months as a 3 year 1 month old hedgehog is not the same as a 3 year 11 month old hedgehog.
- How long have you owned your hedgehog?
- Has there been any changes in the 2-3 weeks prior to the symptoms starting, such as, you on vacation, hedgie cared for by someone else, new cage, different cage location etc
- What is the temperature of the hedgehogs cage?
- What is the lighting schedule?
Please add dates that symptoms occurred such as, Aug 11 green poop. August 13 diarrhea plus vomiting
Do you weigh regularly? If so, how much has hedgie lost or gained over X number of days.
- normal size and texture, soft but formed, mush, liquid, jelly like
- colour normal, slightly green, very green, bloody
- smell normal, stronger than normal, put you out of the room rank
- Pooping in bed
normal, dark, bloody, less or more than normal, straining to pee, peeing in bed
sneezing - wet or dry, frequency, when first waking up, all the time
Mucous - clear liquid, thick clear, coloured
normal, slow, rapid, laboured, wheezing, open or closed mouth,
- normally, less than normal, not at all
- How many kibble per day?
- Any difficulty crunching food?
- Has there been a new food or treat recently and if so, how long ago? Was this one time, or given daily?
- Is the water the same as usual? Water intake, less, same, more
Scratching – excessively, frequent, occasional, rarely, frantically
Dry skin – small powder like flakes, large flakes, huge sheets of flaking skin
Sores – size, location, scabbed or raw
Rash – red skin, pin prick size, hives, location
Quills - minor quill loss, massive quill loss, bare spots
mushy food, frothy white, frothy green
How frequent is he vomiting? Is it after eating, drinking, activity or random?
normal, lethargic, wobbly, tires easily
- When started
* * * Nancy * * *
Retired from breeding
Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Basic Cleaning Questions! PLEASE READ||OllieTheHedgie||General Questions||5||08-11-2012 12:13 AM|
|Please read before posting to Product Reviews||Nancy||Product Reviews||0||12-06-2011 09:46 PM|
|READ ME: Rescue posting guidelines||Kalandra||Rescue||0||08-15-2011 08:53 AM|
|General Health: Newbie Questions||amjlt||Health||2||04-02-2009 05:57 PM|