Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Losing some quills - Signs of infection?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
artistshrugged

Default Losing some quills - Signs of infection?

Hey everyone!

Reggie has been doing well lately, but I have noticed he has dry skin. He gets an Aveeno bath once every 10 days or so, and I have flaxseed oil that I apply to his skin (or in the rinse water) when I notice bad flare ups. However, I have noticed more quill loss recently. Reggie never lost more than one or two quills in the year that I owned him (until August) in the last few weeks (since August) I have noticed an increase of quills in his cage. Last night we counted 7.

Should I bring him to the vet to check for mites and a skin infection? Are there any signs I should be looking for? His eating, wheeling, and pooping have been normal.

Because his behavior hasn't changed I am not sure if I am being paranoid and it is just dry skin, or if something else could be going on.

As a note: he is on fleece bedding, there are no other pets in the house, and he is about 1 year and 8 months old (he is a rescue, so exact birthdate and health history are unavailable)
artistshrugged is offline   Reply With Quote