Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - My hedgehog is a picky eater! What to do?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Claire

Default My hedgehog is a picky eater! What to do?

My hedgehog is just the pickiest eater- and I'm not quite sure how to proceed. I don't want to malnourish the cutie, but I don't know how to make her eat her fruits and veggies. I got her from another owner when she was 16 weeks old. They had only fed her kitten food, so I gave her kitten food for a few weeks, then tried to wean her off of it and get her on a "commercial" hedgehog food supplemented with fresh fruits and veggies. She wouldn't touch it. I tried mixing in kitten food with her normal food, but the little sticker just flips the bowl and picked out all of the kitten food pieces, leaving the normal food! I tried leaving just the fruits and veggies and new food in her cage, but she won't eat any of it. I put a plate of a ton of different fruits and veggies in her cage to eat, only to find it not touched, and the kitten food gone. The only thing she consistently likes is a little bit of cottage cheese (which really isn't doing any good for her) and that darn kitten food.

Any advice? Sorry for the jumbled paragraph- let me know if you need clarification.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote