Forum Etiquette - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Forum Etiquette

There has been lots of drama in the forums lately, which is no one's fault and for no real reason, so I figured I'd post a general idea of forum etiquette to remind members what is and isn't appropriate and something to guide newcomers. Let me know if anything should be added or changed.

1- Be nice to newbies: Be nice to everyone actually, but especially new members. Obviously this is a place for sharing and learning about hedgehogs and care, and no learning gets accomplished if we can't be nice. Treat everyone with respect.

2- Read before asking: There are many many many times when the same questions get repeatedly asked by prospective and new hedgie owners. It saves everyone time and energy if you quickly scan or search for a topic before creating your own post. If you can't find what you're looking for, then ask and I'm sure plenty of people will be willing to help.

3- Don't cross-post: Cross posting, shotgun posting, or double posting (all have generally the same meaning) is when someone posts the same question in two different boards. It's confusing and unnecessary. Most members read all the boards, and there is no reason that anyone should have to read the same thing twice.

4- Keep it relevant: Not every post needs a response. If you have an opinion or an answer to a question, responses are welcome, but posts such as "ok" or "I agree" can be left out as they don't really contribute to the discussion. Keep personal attacks out of otherwise helpful threads. Also, for questions vaguely or not related to hedgehogs- we do have an off-topic board.

5- Post Subject Titles: When you post a new topic, make sure the title tells us something about it. Titles such as "HELP" or "What's Happening?" or "Is this Normal?" Don't tell us anything. You're more likely to get fast and helpful replies if the title is relevant or a short description is added.

6- Respect the admins and breeders: They know their stuff. Chances are if Bryan tells you a color, don't argue. If Nancy or another breeder answers a health question, take their advice into consideration. I'm not saying you always have to agree with them, I'm just saying that they have the most experience and are the most reliable sources available.

7- Netspeak is frowned upon: We don't want to be reading "lyke dis & dat stuf" and "w/e" and "idk" and "u r so kewl"... seriously? Type it so that people understand what you're saying and don't need a slang/webspeak dictionary to understand. Also, avoiding using ALL CAPITAL LETTERS because it makes you sound like you're shouting, so unless you are actually shouting- don't do it.

Acceptable Netspeak:
LOL- laugh out loud
ok- okay
IMO- In my opinion
IMHO- in my honest/humble opinion
JMO- just my opinion

Remember- Be courteous!Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion and the most we can do is give our opinions and advice. No one is forced to do anything(although I don't know why you wouldn't). Healthy debates and helping each other are great; personal attacks and hissy fits are not.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Forum Etiquette

Bravo
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

very nice i especially like the part about reading other posts before making a new topic (although i must say i have been guilty of that)

i'd like to know if words such as "IMHO" are considered netspeak because they tend to be used often, and i just learned what it meant!
zoologist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Good post.

I think certain netspeak is ok, IMO, JMO, IMHO, lol, I think are ok but not everyone will know what they mean. Things like "u r so kewl" is just plain annoying.

I'd also like to mention that many people are members of numerous forums. Often a persons behaviour on a forum will follow them from forum to forum. If you acted obnoxious on one forum and switch forums, chances are your reputation will precede you. If you want to be taken seriously, change your behaviour. I'd also like to point out, that sometimes the impatience with some new people is because they are known from other forums.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

KUDOS!

Might I suggest this get pinned to the top, somewhere?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Could you add one more rule to the etiquette?

I'd like to see members posting appropriate SUBJECT titles. Not one word titles such as:
HELP
FINALLY
UMM
WHAT
WHY
finish your thought with a short description, and you'll probably get quicker or better replies.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes! Everyone needs to read this!

I have only been on this forum for a short while and have witnessed, and been the victim of, malicious, unhelpful posters.

Everyone here needs to chill and realize that we should be helping each other.

Please, please! Everyone take a look at your posts and ask yourself if you are really being helpful in what you say and post.

I thought this was a great place for Hedgie lovers but my opinion is quickly changing... can you restore my faith in this site?
Old 06-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yer_Daddy
Yes! Everyone needs to read this!

I have only been on this forum for a short while and have witnessed, and been the victim of, malicious, unhelpful posters.

Everyone here needs to chill and realize that we should be helping each other.

Please, please! Everyone take a look at your posts and ask yourself if you are really being helpful in what you say and post.

I thought this was a great place for Hedgie lovers but my opinion is quickly changing... can you restore my faith in this site?
You know, I went back through all 30 of your posts and all your threads and there was ONE disagreement with you re using newspaper. You were given good advice and decided to argue about it, take offense and get all huffy because someone told you you were wrong.

I wish there was a warning sign when someone really wanted advice and another one when all they want is to be stroked and told they are the perfect hedgehog caretaker.

And that's what leads to the problems. New posters come here, post claiming to want advice and then get their panties in a bunch when the advice disagrees with what they believe and what they want to do. In reality, they just want to be absolved of guilt from making mistakes and they don't take it well when that doesn't happen.

Some people love hedgehogs more than others. To those who truly love hedgehogs, thank you for putting them first.
HedgeMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to magenh Send a message via MSN to magenh Send a message via Yahoo to magenh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeMom
And that's what leads to the problems. New posters come here, post claiming to want advice and then get their panties in a bunch when the advice disagrees with what they believe and what they want to do. In reality, they just want to be absolved of guilt from making mistakes and they don't take it well when that doesn't happen.
I can see the other side of this. Yes, some people get huffy and defensive and don't take criticism and advice well. (I'll be the first to admit I don't always take criticism well, especially if I feel that it is given in a less than polite or tactful manner.) That is exactly the problem that many posters have with others on the forums. While people seeking advice need to be willing to accept the criticisms or advice that are offered, those responding to questions and situations need to be careful in how they come across. Sometimes we get carried away in our desire to do what we feel is in the best interest of the hedgie and fail to acknowledge that someone has other opinions, or is not seeking advice in their post. It's fine to give advice in a polite, appropriate way, but when another poster indicates that they appreciate the advice but do not wish to continue the conversation, then those who responded to the post need to respect that.

I'm not saying that some issues don't deserve prompt and straight forward opinions. Anytime that the health and wellness of a hedgie is in jeopardy, we need to help the owner of the hedgie correct the situation. I think that everyone needs to consider how their posts will be taken. Written words lack the tone and unseen cues of spoken words. Sometimes something that is said without the intention of being rude or pushy can come across as such to others who read the words.

I've been on the receiving end of post such as the ones Yer_Daddy is referring too. I was at the point of leaving the forums. Fortunately many people backed me in what I said and how I tried to resolve the issue. Without that, one person would have turned me away from these forums. That would have been such a shame. I gain new and helpful information everyday on here, but I admit I have to overlook the way some people react to each other at times.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Mallasfamily

Thank you for a wonderful topic. Everyone should read this. As for the currant controversy I can see both sides. Sometimes some people can be pretty belligerent on topics that don't call for it. I have been offended by posts that were not mine and I agreed with the thought behind it! They need to remember that they are talking to actual people. If you wouldn't say it to someones face (especially when you don't really know them) then it shouldn't be said. And some people are just too sensitive. Remember that this is a forum of people that want the very best for every single Hedgehog out there and are very passionate. Even if someone or something is not exactly to your liking don't just leave. As magenh said there is a LOT of good, helpful information on this site. Would you refuse to eat a piece of meat (real or tofu for those vegetarians out there) that maybe had a small part that was burnt? Would you throw out a whole steak because there was some fat on the edge? Don't leave the forum because of some problems. Work around it and ignore the bad parts!

Mallasfamily
Mallasfamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in