Forum Etiquette - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Forum Etiquette

I'd like to bring this thread to everyone's attention as a reminder of how we should and should not post and behave on forums. Following a few basic language rules would help immensely for those of us trying to read posts.

1. Proper punctuation. We learn in grade 2 that a sentence begins with a capital letter and ends with either a period or question mark. Run on sentences are not only difficult to read, but annoying and often people do not bother even to read.

2. Paragraphs. We learn about paragraphs in grade 3. A paragraph is a group of sentences about one subject. When we switch to a different subject, we make a new paragraph with a blank line between.

3. Subject line. A subject line that gives an idea of what the post is about will give quicker responses. For instance. "OMG I need help" not only tells the person reading it nothing about what is wrong but the use of net speak gives the impression of drama. A better subject line would be "Help, cold hedgie". This tells the reader what the post is about.

Many people, myself included, come on here multiple times per day but only for a few minutes at a time. When looking at the new posts, I am going to read and reply to "Help, cold hedgie" immediately and may not even have time to get to "OMG I need help".

4. Capitals. Capitalizing all letters is not only annoying, difficult to read but is considered yelling.

Capitalizing the first letter of each word is also annoying and difficult to read and goes back to following the simple punctuation rules we learned in grade 2. Capitals belong at the beginning of a sentence and for proper names.

Capitalizing random words helps highlight the importance and is fine to do in some circumstances.

5. Spelling. Not everyone can spell well. For some, English is not their first language. We Canadians spell certain words different than those in the US and spell checkers give US spelling of words. Random spelling mistakes are fine, nobody is perfect but at least give it a good try.

Except for a few words, netspeak is not only annoying to read but generally the post is not taken as seriously as one that is written in normal words. LOL and IMO are generally considered okay to use.

You are judged by how you present yourself. We don't expect perfection but unless you are 7 years old, you have learned basic punctuation, capitalization and sentence structure. Please use it. Netspeak is fine to use when you are chatting with a friend but otherwise is annoying to the reader and puts forth an immature impression of you.
Mel_W likes this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks a lot for this post, I totally agree with everything say. I am guilty of sometimes using netspeak such as OMG and BTW, but I promise I will avoid them as much as possible. Also, it would be nice from me to point out that if someone doesn't understand what I tried to say it is okay for them to ask me to rephrase that, and I think it goes both ways. English is not my first language and sometimes I might find it difficult to explain myself or to understand what others are saying.

Agatha's birthday: 24-December-2011
vasogoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

If we help you, or find something that isn't fully correct, please do not yell at us members saying we're terrible and judging you.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

I wouldn't do that, I would actually be eternally thankful to you for correcting me, it is the only way to get better at something

Agatha's birthday: 24-December-2011
vasogoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

This is not really necessary as a remark, but I am writing it anyway. Thank you Christemo. Most people on here are so passionate about the welfare and health of hedgies that I believe they feel it is their responsibility (which it is) to point out potentially harmful or unhealthy situations or care when necessary. It is not meant to be hurtful to the person, but yo prevent hurt to the hedgie.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #16 (permalink)

I know this is a sticky, so most people would come across this... but I just wanted to pull this back up to remind everyone on the forum how we can all help each other and our hedgies best!
I have noticed a lot of vague titles lately, seeing "HELP" five times is not only mildly irritating, but it makes it hard to take any seriously. Titles with descriptive wording make it easier for people with answers to come forward, make people take notice, and are easier for people looking for things to search.
I hope it's alright to bring up an old thread, since that can be annoying... but I feel like this is a wonderful reminder for all of us!
Nancy, Lilysmommy, abbys and 1 others like this.
-Anatole France
SpikeMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMoose View Post
I know this is a sticky, so most people would come across this... but I just wanted to pull this back up to remind everyone on the forum how we can all help each other and our hedgies best!
I have noticed a lot of vague titles lately, seeing "HELP" five times is not only mildly irritating, but it makes it hard to take any seriously. Titles with descriptive wording make it easier for people with answers to come forward, make people take notice, and are easier for people looking for things to search.
I hope it's alright to bring up an old thread, since that can be annoying... but I feel like this is a wonderful reminder for all of us!
I knew there was something else I wanted to add to yesterdays Reminder thread but I couldn't think of what it was. This was it. Thank you for posting.

I rarely bother to open threads with dramatic vague titles.
SpikeMoose and ajweekley like this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in