Coming out of lurking mode... :) - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Coming out of lurking mode... :)

Hello all! First off, let me say that I've been reading these forums for a while now, soaking in the wealth of great information and entertaining stories. It's definitely helped me to be more prepared when I brought my hedgie home.

I essentially "rescued" Tonya. She's a beautiful one year old albino who was being given away because her owner was moving to California. One of the first things I noticed was how horrible she smelled when he handed her to me. Then I noticed that she was YELLOW. He then told me that she had been dropped a few times by visiting friends, and he was suprised that she didn't ball up and hiss at me.

While it's reccommended that you acclimate a hedgie before bathing, I felt it was necessary to do it immediately. I had no kind of suitable "cleanser", so I just used warm water and a toothbrush. It was during the bathing session that I took notice of just how dirty her feet were. They were so full of poo that they were black! After a few water changes, the smell went away, her quills were much whiter and the water didn't turn yellow any more. By that time, I figured her feet should be pretty easy to clean, thanks to the soaking. WRONG! I did the best I could that night, but she let me know that she'd had enough so I left it for the next night. Also note that I couldn't trim her nails because they were so stained I couldn't see the quick! Before I put her back in her "house", I took everything out and sanitized it. As it dried and finished airing out, we spent some bonding time with a warm and dry towel.

Two weeks later, she's adjusted quite well. She's clean and happy and, in spite of her bad human experiences, is quite friendly. Might I add, she's spoiled rotten!

Most of her behavior could be considered "normal", but last weekend she started doing something that I would consider strange. Sometimes if I come in late or get up in the night and turn the light on, instead of going into hiding, she'll stop where she is and just stand there waiting for me to pick her up! If I take too long, she gets upset and throws a little tantrum until I at least pet her. When I do pick her up, I lay down with her and she stretches out on my chest with her head under my chin and goes to sleep. Is it normal for a hedgie to tell you when (s)he wants attention?

Sorry for the long post. Sometimes I just go on and on and on…[attachment=0:yia2tybs]Tonya 3a.JPG[/attachment:yia2tybs]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tonya 3a.JPG (88.2 KB, 39 views)

Why the eggs? They're her favorite food!
AnimeMutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Coming out of lurking mode... :)

She's such a cute hedgie! welcome to the forum
Old 05-02-2011, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh my gosh!!! She sounds like such a sweetie, and it seems like she definitely appreciates how good of a hedgie parent you are! First of all, I'm so glad she has found a good home! The poor girl, I feel so bad that she was so dirty/smelly... but she's clean and from the picture and your description, quite happy now!

I don't know how "normal" it is for her to tell you she wants attention, but it certainly is special! You're very lucky to have found such a friendly, cuddly hedgie!

Welcome! And please, more pictures of this pretty little baby!

Old 05-02-2011, 01:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the welcome and yes, she is amazing! We're very lucky to have each other.

She's definitely the snuggling type. I've tried to initate play on a few occasions, but she ignores the toys (even the toilet paper tube) every time and chooses to curl up with me.

Of course, she's not sociable ALL of the time. She definitely lets me know when she needs alone time, and I've accepted that it's not because she's mad at me for something. I guess you could say that it's an adjustment period for both of us.

I'll be having another photo session with her soon, and I'll definitely post more pics (in the photo section, of course).

Why the eggs? They're her favorite food!
AnimeMutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Welcome to HHC! Congrats on Tonya! Sounds like her life is going to be so much better from now on. And it sounds like you're bonding very well!
Our girl Zoey was very huffy when we first got her. She hadn't been abused or anything, but had very little human contact for a few months before we got her. Now, when I walk into the hedgie's room & she's up, she will run up her ramp to the 2nd floor and wants me to pick her up. She will try to climb up to me, getting her feet all in her water dish in the process. It really blew me away when she first did it & I thought it was just a one time thing. But so far, it's not.
I would say that it's not the norm for hedgies. I think it's unique & special. And I love it.
Can't wait to see more pictures of Tonya!

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lmashbri6983 Send a message via MSN to lmashbri6983 Send a message via Yahoo to lmashbri6983

Yes, that really is amazing, and you guys who have these 'extra friendly' hedgies are some lucky parents! I love my Layla and I know she loves me back, but she's never been one to greet me from her cage or sit and stare at me till I pick her up. The only times she runs to me is when I set her down outside of her cage, when she'll sniff around and after a few seconds realize that she's not next to mommy and come waddling over . I'm so surprized to hear these stories of hedgies wanting to be picked up and reacting to when their parents walk by, since I've never known a hedgie to care about what's happening outside the cage! I gotta say it's really awesome to hear about these special guys!!!
PS - speaking of normal vs. not, would you say it's more normal for a hedgie to want to stay undercover or to be out in the open?? I'm mostly talking about play and cuddle time - Layla LOVES to cuddle on my lap, but will only be satisfied if I have a blanket on my legs, and she stays completely under it. Yet I also hear of these hedgies that love to cuddle out in the open and I find it amazing!!! What would you say the majority of hedgies go for... covers or no covers??

lmashbri6983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

She's beautiful That was so nice of you to take her in, it sounds like her life has improved tremendously and only the start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in