Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Hello, New to Hedgies (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94122)

Peter 02-02-2015 06:25 AM

Hello, New to Hedgies

Hello Folks, We have just ventured into the world of Hedgies, and bought our little one on Saturday, his name is Hugo. From what the shop told us he was born in November.

This is very daunting for us, and don't know if we are doing anything right. He seems to spend most of his time sleeping or hiding in a ball from us. When we try to handle him he does the same and starts huffing at us. What is the best way for us to get him used to being handled?

We also saw bloody foot prints over his cage and wheel this morning? Is it the wheel hurting his feet?

Cheers,

Peter

sc2001 02-02-2015 09:42 AM

Welcome!
What wheel are you using? Can you post a picture? Many wheels are not good for hedgies. If your wheel has slits it can rip nails or toes.

Your Hedgies behavior is pretty normal. Do you have a snuggle sack or a fleece blanket? The best way to to bond at first is Just letting the hedgie sleep on you in a blanket. They can get your smell through the blanket while feeling secure and comfortable.

You can also sleep with a t-shirt for 2 or 3 nights and then place it in your hedgies cage. Your hedgie will,most likely sleep in it and get used to your smell.

Good luck and congrats!

Peter 02-02-2015 12:07 PM

Many thanks for the advise. The wheel we got has small raised ribs, maybe we should get a smooth wheel?

I will post a picture of the little guy tonight. We have put an old fleece hat in his hut for him to sleep on, and I have had a dressing gown on my lap when I play with him. I will maybe just let him sleep on my lap tonight when I am watching TV?

Peter 02-02-2015 02:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the picture of the wheel we got him. And a picture of little Hugo himself. He seems to have slept under his wheel today. Is that normal?

CourtneyLA 02-02-2015 02:27 PM

15 Attachment(s)
He's precious! The wheel could be hurting his feet, smooth wheels are generally recommended. Like these ones here: http://www.carolinastormhedgehogs.co...ket-wheel.html

Sleeping on your lap is a good idea! And I find that hedgehogs sleep wherever they want lol. Nina burrows under fleece to sleep so maybe you could try adding some extra fleece and see if he likes that?

sc2001 02-02-2015 05:27 PM

The ribs on the wheel might be hurting her feet but I can't imagine her feet being but by the ribs. Are there any jagged edges anywhere on the wheel? Look carefully and see if there isn't anything that can cut her feet.

Are positive that the blood is coming from her feet?

She may just be running so much that her feet became raw. I've heard it happening to some hedgies

And yes it's normal that she slept under her wheel. Hedgies love to. My hedgie did until I switched to fleece

Soyala_Amaya 02-03-2015 10:31 AM

Any signs of blood are an immediate need to see a vet. If they're on his feet, you need to get the wheel out IMMEDIATELY so no poo gets in cuts and makes him sick. If it came FROM the poo, he could be very sick. Please make a vet appointment ASAP

Lilysmommy 02-03-2015 11:38 AM

49 Attachment(s)
Most of the time, signs of blood are a good reason to get to the vet soon. But if the blood IS coming from the feet just from cracks due to the wheel, that's usually not a big deal. Feet tend to heal quickly and often it can even be hard to find the cracks or cuts the morning after. Taking the wheel out for a night can help rest them, but can also cause the hedgehog to climb the cage, so you have to be careful.

Wheels with ribs can be more likely to cause bloody feet, but even smooth wheels can cause it if the hedgehog isn't used to running and has tender feet. Usually the feet toughen up after once or twice & there are no more issues, but it's a good idea to keep a close eye on them, and if they continue to end up with bloody feet, then it might not be a bad idea to check in with a vet. And of course, if there are any other unusual things (like the feet swelling up, looking red/sore, change in activity, etc.), then see the vet.

Peter 02-03-2015 04:39 PM

No blood in the cage this morning. So maybe it was a 1 off. Checked his feet last night and tonight during his foot bath and it all looks fine. He seems to be opening up to us. He had a good roam around the sofa.

He seems to explore more around me, but when he is on my girlfriend he just curls up and has a nap. Is there any reason for this?

He also started biting and licking a book on the sofa. Then he licked himself. Has anyone seen this before?

Cheers, Peter

PricklePrincess 02-03-2015 09:29 PM

That's self-annointing! Just a strange thing they do when they find something with a strong smell or a smell they like. Totally normal, and fun to watch in my opinion!